You have 2 PagePops. View
Grades 9-12 levels 1, 2, & 3:
Please choose at least one book to read over the summer. You may choose a book from the list that teachers and staff have chosen and join their book discussion in the fall or choose your own book to share. Click here to view the list of books. Brochures are also available at Cragin Library.
Click here to view the summer reading video created by a Bacon Academy student: https://youtu.be/wgyrLysvALc
Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman
One nonfiction book of your choice
100-150 word memorization
Click here to view the assignment.
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Click here to view the assignment.
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë OR Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
The Short and Tragic Life of Robert Peace, by Jeff Hobbs
Click here to view the assignment.
BA 611 Norwich Avenue, Colchester CT 06415 Telephone: (860) 537-2378
Message from the Interim Superintendent Karen Loiselle Goodwin:
To the members of the Colchester School Community: Please click here to read.
- Best Wishes to our Bacon Academy Class of 2017! We Wish you the best!~
- Letter from the Bacon Academy Administration: Click here to read.
- Meeting for Athletes/Parents: August 2, 2017 at 6pm in the Doc Gross auditorium for Bacon Academy Fall 2017 Preseason Athletics Meeting -Click here for details.
- Fall Sports 17-18 Registration Is Open: All athletes participating in fall sports must register online with Family ID. Directions and the link for online registration for Bacon Athletics are below (a printable version is attached, as well). Physicals still need to be filed in the nurse’s office. Do not drop them off to the Athletic Director. https://www.familyid.com/organizations/bacon-academy-athletic-department. The Fall Pay to Play Dues collection dates are from September 6th through September 15th. Click here for form with details.
- Note From The Nurses Office Regarding Incoming 10th Grade Students: CT State law requires all 10th grade students to have a completed health assessment during their sophomore year. An assessment completed on or after 01/01/2017 is acceptable. We understand a physical exam may only be able to be completed once per calendar year and your child's assessment may occur after the start of the 2017-2018 school year. If this is the case, please contact the nurse's office with the scheduled appointment date. Sports or camp physicals may not be accepted. Blank health assessment forms link here.
- Medication in School: If your child requires medication in school, please provide the nurse with a completed doctor's order form signed by a parent along with the medication needed. Only adults may bring the medications to/from school. Some examples include: ibuprofen, tylenol, albuterol, Epipen, eye/ear drops, antibiotics, etc.
- Bacon Academy French Students Grades 9-12. French Class Trip to Quebec: It’s is not too late to sign up for our trip to Quebec. Please contact Mme Bender if students can't find Prométour's contact information. This is for Bacon Academy French students: grades 9-12. We will be holding another informational meeting in September for incoming freshmen. The trip dates are Feb 22-25, 2018.
- BA Math Students: If your student will be a freshman at Bacon Academy for the upcoming school year, please read this information about calculators from the Bacon Academy Math Department. Please click here.
- Tweets by Principal Peel- @BA_Peel Twitter feed page for all Mr. Peel's Tweets! Click on the link: http://www.colchesterct.org/page.cfm?p=553
- Bacon Academy Summer reading video created by a Bacon Academy student linked here.
- Summer Reading: Bacon Academy has a brand-new, fantastic summer reading program this year! Our teachers and staff have each chosen a favorite book to share. We are inviting you to choose a book from any of the selected titles to read over the summer. Better yet, you can read more than one if you’d like! When you return to school in the fall, you will participate in an exciting book discussion with other students who have read the book. Don’t miss out on the chance to engage in this great activity! Click here to see the list of titles. The Bacon Academy Library and Cragin Memorial Library have a limited number of the titles available for check-out. If we don’t have it available, you may have to order it or try a library nearby. Happy reading!
- Mattabeseck Audubon Society - Thoreau Essay Contest for High School Students: This year marks the 200th anniversary of the birth of Henry David Thoreau, naturalist, essayist, philosopher, and author of Walden. To mark this event, the Mattabeseck Audubon Society is sponsoring an essay contest for high school students in their chapter area. The Thoreau Essay Contest submission deadline is October 15, 2017 Click here for details. http://www.audubon-mas.org
- Safe Futures is the domestic violence counseling agency for southeastern CT. For families or students struggling with domestic violence to be aware of their services. http://www.safefuturesct.org/
- CYS Summer Registration: Summer trip calendar visit their website (www.colchesterct.gov/youth).
UPDATE FROM THE SCHOOL COUNSELING OFFICE
WELCOMING OUR NEW COUNSELOR
- Melanie Wehrenberg has joined our team as a School Counselor. You may remember her from school year 2015-16, when she did her school counseling internship at the Academy. Mrs. Wehrenberg’s knowledge of and familiarity with Bacon Academy will allow for a seamless transition for students and families. We are very excited to welcome her back!
- With the retirement of Thomas Racine, the new counselor caseload for 2017-18 will be distributed by last name as follows:
NEW COUNSELOR CASELOAD FOR 2017-18 LIST HERE
REMINDER ON COLCHESTER GMAIL USAGE:
- We encourage all students to check the district-use Colchester gmail accounts regularly. However, these gmails should NOT be used to create outside accounts (College Board, CommonApp, etc.). They are not set up to receive outside emails. All students should create a personal gmail in the format: firstname.lastname@example.org.
NEW STUDENT ORIENTATION:
- Orientation will be on Monday, August 28th from 6:00 - 8:00pm for all incoming 9th grade students and students new to the district. All students will receive a folder with their schedule and locker combination. A letter and agenda is being mailed this week.
COUNSELOR APPOINTMENTS AND THE ADD/DROP PERIOD:
- Counselors return on August 21st and may be seen BY APPOINTMENT ONLY from August 21st - 25th. To make an appointment to see your counselor, call Ms.Trinnaman (860-537-2378 ext. 2206) or Mrs. DesSureault (860-537-2378 ext. 2205).
- The time period to add or drop a course is 5 days. This period will end on Wednesday, September 6. After that date, no courses may be dropped or switched. Requests for dropping AP levels will not be approved. If recommended by teachers, AP is the appropriate placement. In addition, the master teacher schedule is built on requests that cannot be adjusted at this time.
UCONN ECE LATE APPLICATIONS AND ADD/DROP PERIOD:
- Registering for college credit in this dual-enrollment program is a two part process. First, students need to apply. The late period for APPLYING is August 15th to September 15th. Visit www.ece.uconn.edu for more information.
- The second step is enrolling: the late enrollment deadline is September 29th. This is also the deadline for dropping the UCONN course. There is a $25 add/drop processing fee.
Here are the courses that are eligible for dual credit:
Bacon class = University of Connecticut class
- English Literature & Composition (0146) (UCONN ECE) = Seminar in Writing through Literature (ENGL 1011) - 4 Credits
- AP Environmental Science (0470) = Environmental Science (NRE 1000) - 3 Credits
- French Language and Civilization (0564) = Grammar and Composition (FREN 3268) - 3 Credits
- Lifespan Development (0835) = Individual and Family Development (HDFS 1070) - 3 Credits
- Music Fundamentals (0872) = Fundamentals & Ear Training I (MUSI 1011) - 3 Credits
- AP Physics 1 (0451) = General Physics I (PHYS 1201Q) - 4 Credits
2017-18 SAT/ACT/PSAT TEST DATES:
The School Counseling Department looks forward to seeing you!
School Counseling Department Assignments:
Sharon Gagne, email@example.com
Andrea Merry, firstname.lastname@example.org
Ronald Sefchik, 9th Grade Transition Counselor email@example.com
Melanie Wehrenberg, firstname.lastname@example.org
Donna DesSureault, Guidance Office Professional, email@example.com
Amy Trinnaman, Guidance Office Professional, firstname.lastname@example.org
@BaconAcademy FOR SCHOOL COUNSELING DEPARTMENT UPDATES!
- CPS School Community Welcomes Interim Superintendent Karen Goodwin: Click here to read.
- Substitutes Needed (Teachers, Paraprofessionals, Nurses, Cafeteria): Are you looking for something to do while the kids are in school? Apply now to become a substitute for the 2017-18 school year as background screenings can take up to six weeks. Teacher applicants need to have a college degree or apply for a waiver from the state, nurses must have a CT RN license and valid current CPR & First Aid. Substitute applications are available at the Board of Education office located inside Town Hall or click on Substitute Application Packet. If you have any questions, contact Jan Shorts, HR Coordinator at 860-537-7264. Substitute Rates: Teachers - $85.00 a day ($42.50 half day) and Non-Certified - $70.00 a day ($35.00 half day).
- Board of Education Meeting: August 8th at the Town Hall at 7pm.
- 2017-2018 School Calendar attached here.
- School News: For school news and information over the summer, please visit our website for updates or follow us on Twitter @COLschools. We hope you have a safe and wonderful summer!
- 07/31/17 - 08/04/17: CYB Boys & Girls Basketball Camp- July 31st-August 4th from 9:30-12:00. Grades 5-9 at Bacon Academy. Directed by Bacon Academy basketball coaches and players.
- 08/14/17 - 8/18/17: Parks and Rec Soccer Camp Registration here.
- 08/25/17: Cub Scout Pack 13 Ice Cream Social:Friday, August 25th at St. Andrew's Church. Any questions, please email email@example.com
- SafeFutures: Domestic violence counseling agency for southeastern CT. Services for families or students struggling with domestic violence. Click on the link http://www.safefuturesct.org/
- Mattabeseck Audubon Society Thoreau Essay Contest for High School Students: This year marks the 200th anniversary of the birth of Henry David Thoreau, naturalist, essayist, philosopher, and author of Walden. To mark this event, the Mattabeseck Audubon Society is sponsoring an essay contest for high school students in their chapter area. The Thoreau Essay Contest submission deadline is October 15, 2017 Click here for details. http://www.audubon-mas.org
- CYS Game Club at Cragin on Tuesdays through August 8th: Click here for details.
- New Venture Crew Forming: Click here for details.
- Colchester YSS Community Closet: New and gently used clothing and shoes for adults and children. Open to anyone in the community who has a need for clothing. If you are interested contact the CYSS office at 860-537-7255.
- Free and Subsidized Preschool Offered in Colchester: Click here for details.
Last Digital Backpack