BA 611 Norwich Avenue, Colchester CT 06415 Telephone: (860) 537-2378
December 15, 2017
- Monday, December 18th in an A DAY.
- Friday, December 22nd is a SHORTENED DAY.
- Winter recess is 12/25/2017 through 01/02/2018.
- Thank you to everyone who attended The Bacon Academy Library book fair at Barnes & Noble. The event was a huge success with the 35 student volunteers, a great live lobster presentation with science teacher, Mr. Hage, a student cooking demonstration and a lively performance by the Colchester Civic Orchestra! The library earned money to purchase new books. Stop in a see all the great new titles and check out a book to enjoy.
- Bacon Academy Drama Club will be holding auditions for the spring production of Robin Hood. Auditions will held on the auditorium stage on January 3rd from 4:30-6 p.m. For more information please contact Mrs. Hahn in the Bacon Academy LMC or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The State of Connecticut has put together resources to support Mastery-Based Learning. Many teachers in the English and World Language departments have implemented standards-based grading to support students mastering skills. You can find those resources here and a list of Frequently Asked Questions here.
- In collaboration with Project Courage, Bacon Academy is fortunate to have an in house substance abuse counselor who lends support to our students. Our counselor’s name is Ben Backus. Ben has met with multiple advisory classes as well as counseled students independently. If you know someone who would benefit from these confidential services please feel free to email Ben at email@example.com.
- December is the month of kindness and here at Bacon we have been working on spreading kindness and compassion in accordance with our core values and beliefs. This month’s advisory activity was dedicated to a case study of selflessness and then the students completed a kindness chain. During morning announcements there have been reminders of ways to spread kindness and give to others.
- The Music Department Trip (April 12-15)to Washington DC is in full planning process: If you are a student who chose to not go, and wish you could, see Mr. Kessler/Mrs. Cheney right away. YOU CAN STILL GO!
- EVENTS: Eastern Region Music Festival Friday Jan 5-Sat Jan 6. All State Auditions - Sat Jan 27. BA/RHAM Jazz Night at RHAM HS - Feb 8. Berklee HS JAZZ Festival - Feb 10-11
- Diversity Club will meet once in December on Dec. 19th and on January 9th and 23rd. in Room 1119 at 2:20-3. All members should attend to prep for our event. Questions? See Ms. Murphy, Haley Korzac, Pranav Thaker, Angie Bogle or Jae Park!
- Recycling Fundraiser: The Bacon Academy Library earned $66.45 from our first shipment of e-waste sent to Planet Green Recycling! We are continuing to collect e-waste. It’s easy to help! The Planet Green Recycle fundraising program is really simple and easy, and best of all…it won’t cost you anything. All you have to do is GO GREEN and recycle old ink jet cartridges and e-waste devices, such as cell phones and other small electronics. Your items can be dropped off in the collection box in the Bacon Academy main office.
- Please support the Drive Away the Cold campaign! Seniors Ryan Lawrence and Aubrie Goulet and freshman Paige Lawrence are collecting new or gently worn coats, hats, mittens, and sweatshirts to benefit Colchester Social Services. A collection box is located in the main office.
- Bacon Athletic Photos Monday, December 18th: Click here to order and use ID# RI097176X0.
- Senior Parents: Yearbook recognition ads are a great way for parents, families and friends to commemorate student achievements and important milestones. Purchase your ad online here, and follow the instructions on attached form. Jostens is managing our school's yearbook ad sales, so please do not contact or send materials to the school. All ad orders must be placed online by 1/1/2018. Click on the link here to order!
- Seniors: Can you help volunteer for the UCONN Men's basketball game on Saturday, December 9th? Please follow the link below to sign up. We look forward to seeing you there! http://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080948a5a62ca7fe3-uconn12
- Class of 2019 Dues: Class Dues are $10 per student. We will collect dues all year long. To receive a discounted prom ticket your dues must be paid by December 20th. Checks can be made out to Bacon Academy. Cash and Checks are accepted and can be turned in to Mrs. St. George or Ms. Kehoegreen.
- HOLIDAY SHOPPING? Choose smile.amazon.com - please take a moment to support Bacon Academy Project Graduation by choosing it as your charity. It doesn't cost you anything and .05% of all your orders go toward BAPG. Thank you.
- Bacon Athletics Calendar Link: Click here to view the CIAC sports calendar for the month
UPDATE FROM THE SCHOOL COUNSELING OFFICE
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER!
Follow @BaconCounseling for timely department information!
THREE RIVERS COMMUNITY COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIPS-SPRING TERM (JANUARY)
Applications due 12/22/17 Eligible students at Bacon Academy can earn college credit at TRCC through the High School Partnership (HSP) Scholarship program. The HSP scholarship program is currently available for juniors and seniors who wish to study subjects not offered in high school, broaden their education, earn college credits, explore career options or build on their skills. Eligible students will attend TRCC and be funded for one college course per semester on a space available basis. Special fees, such as course lab fees and art studio fees, books/supplies, and transportation are the students’ responsibility. Spring 2018 classes begin on Wednesday, January 17. Pick one up in the School Counseling office or follow the link here for TRCC application Spring 2018. See the Spring 2018 classes here: www.threerivers.edu/courseschedule
- TESTING: Because Juniors have a lot of testing in the Spring, it’s best to plan out what you can. All Juniors will take the School Day SAT on March 21, 2018. There is no essay component for this test; an SAT WITH ESSAY is recommended in addition (see link below to dates). Check to see if colleges of interest require the ACT or SAT Subject Tests. AP Testing is during the month of May 7-18. Here is the AP testing calendar: https://apstudent.collegeboard.org/takingtheexam/ap-calendar.
2017-18 SAT/ACT TEST DATES
- There is a growing list of colleges that allow self-reporting of scores; see if yours are here: https://princetonreview.blog/2017/11/03/can-you-self-report-sat-and-act-scores/
- Counselors DO NOT send official SAT/ACT scores to colleges - that is your responsibility. It can take a couple weeks to process so do it ASAP.
- Your counselor requires 10 days notice to submit supporting materials. If you have January 1 deadlines, you must tell your counselor by December 11th at the latest. You are strongly encouraged to submit your applications before the December break.
For the list of the School Counseling Department Assignments click here.
Sharon Gagne, firstname.lastname@example.org
Andrea Merry, email@example.com
Ronald Sefchik, 9th Grade Transition Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Melanie Wehrenberg, email@example.com
Donna DesSureault, Guidance Office Professional, firstname.lastname@example.org
Amy Trinnaman, Guidance Office Professional, email@example.com
@BaconAcademy FOR SCHOOL COUNSELING DEPARTMENT UPDATES!
- Shortened Day Schedule: Friday, December 22nd is a shortened day.
- Dear Parents/Guardians: In preparation for the winter season, this correspondence explains the procedure regarding no school, delayed opening, and/or early closing of school Please click here for letter with information.
- School Calendar: Click here to view the 2018-2019 School Calendar.
- Colchester Youth & Social Services: CYSS is in need of personal care items such as soaps, deodorant, shampoo/conditioner, shaving cream. Please drop off items at the Colchester Town Hall to CYSS or to the schools in a bag labeled for CYSS.
- WJJMS Sock Collection for the Homeless: 'Tis the season for thinking about others! WJJMS would like you to think about the 2.5 million children who are currently experiencing homelessness. The number one clothing need--believe it or not--is SOCKS! So WJJMS is taking that cause on. Starting Monday, December 11th, through Thursday, December 21st, they are collecting new socks to deliver to shelters around Connecticut! Drop off boxes will be located in WJJMS. Let's spread some Holiday Season Cheer!
- Colchester Youth Services’ 2018 Resolution Run 5K: Start the New Year off on the right foot! Colchester Youth Services 2018 Resolution Run will kick off at a reasonable 10:00 AM on New Year’s Day at Bacon Academy. This event welcomes families and participants of all ages to come run, walk or crawl their way to the finish line! Bring warm layers of clothes, tie up your running shoes, and get ready to “run into” 2018! Medals will be awarded in the following age categories for men and women: 12 and under, 13-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, and 70+. Early bird registration through December 31, 2017 (4:30 PM) is only $20 and $15 for students. Same day registration is $25 for all. Grab a friend or start a team to participate in the New Year’s Day 5K walk/run to support Colchester Youth Services. All proceeds benefit our scholarship fund and Youth Center improvements. Registration is quick and easy at www.lightboxreg.com Participants are encouraged to register in advance to receive early bird rates. Start 2018 off with a bang! Click here for flier.
Last Digital Backpack