Digital Backpack - June 14, 2013
New This Week:
- Bacon Connects - Talk with Katie & Tommy: With Principal Ambruso, Tommy Lund, and Katie Stevens. Listen to the latest happenings at Bacon (6/12/13).
- Bacon Academy Announces Change of Assistant Principal: Bacon Academy is pleased to announce the appointment of Mr. Neal Curland as an Assistant Principal for the 2013-14 school year. With 33 years of experience as a Special Education teacher and coach, Mr. Curland brings a wealth of knowledge to Colchester. Please click here for more information and photo.
- Athletes and Families: All athletes that are participating in fall sports must register online (no more handing out and collecting emergency information sheets). Directions and the link for online registration for Bacon Athletics are below (a printable version is attached, as well). Physicals still need to be filed in the nurse’s office. Do not drop them off to the Athletic Director. There will be a fall athletic pre-season meeting on 7/31/13 at 6pm in the Bacon Auditorium (for all athletes and parents). A parent/guardian should register by clicking on this link https://www.familyid.com/bacon-academy-athletic-department and then follow these steps: 1) Click on the link for the season’s registration form. Scroll to bottom of page and click on Sign Up as a Family or Individual; 2) Sign Up for your secure FamilyID account by entering your family name, email address and password. You will receive an email with a link to confirm your new account. (If you don’t see the email, check your spam or junk folders); and 3) Click on the link in your email confirmation and then fill out the information requested on the registration form. (Payment, if necessary, will be handled separately from on-line registration). Have a nice summer, Bacon Academy Athletic Department.
- Bacon Academy 2013 Student Art Exhibit: The Bacon Academy Student Art Exhibit displayed the work of students in grades 9-12 on Thursday, June 13th. With the assistance of Art teachers Jodi Mendlinger and Paula Berglund, the exhibit featured the Class of 2013 AP Studio Artists; Alex Norkevek, Kristina Muller, Kim McGill, Chelsea Kimball, Ashley Shumbo, and Jessica Wagner.
- Construction Students Build Picnic Tables for Courtyard: The Bacon Academy Construction program has successfully completed 6 picnic tables for the Bacon courtyard, funded by a grant that Technology Education teacher Dan Ramage was graciously awarded by the Colchester Learning Foundation. Construction students responsible for completing the tables are Aidan Armstrong, Eric Fedus, Trevor Sirois, Robert Lockwood, Deaven Garrick, and Brandon Moro. Special thanks to those students for a well done job! Click here for photos.
- Athletes Selected for All-State Team: Bacon Academy is proud to announce that senior Josh Healy and sophomore Jonah Beauton were selected to the 2013 CIAC Class S All State Team. Both students had a terrific Lacrosse season and will be honored at an upcoming CIAC banquet on June 18th. Click here for photos.
- Eat Out & Support the Class of 2015: Come out and support the Bacon Academy Class of 2015 and the Colchester community by eating at Family Pizza on Thursday, June 20th, from Noon-7PM! Family Pizza is partnering with the Class of 2015 for a fundraiser as a portion of the proceeds from 12:00pm-7:00pm will go to the Class of 2015 to help with fundraising for the junior prom! Stop by for delicious food and a great cause. DON’T FORGET TO MENTION THE CLASS OF 2015! Thank you for your support!
- Students Attend Rally to Require GMO Labeling: On May 21st, the Community Activism students at Bacon Academy attended a rally at the state capitol to encourage the senate to vote on a bill that would require the labeling of food made from genetically modified organisms (GMOs) Eventually, the senate voted that night 35-1 to pass the bill. From there, it went to the House of Representatives, where it was ultimately passed last week, making Connecticut the first state to pass this kind of labeling law. Please click here for more info and photo.
- Bacon Honors Their “Fab Five”: Bacon Academy recently held a celebration honoring this year’s retirees: John Stanizzi, English Teacher; Nicholas Mule, Business Ed Teacher; Louise Wessling, Business Ed Teacher; Tom Harrington, Science Teacher; and Dave Johnson, Tech Ed Teacher. Thank you to the “Fab Five” for their dedicated years and commitment to the students of Bacon Academy! Click here for photo.
- We Need Your Input: Colchester Public Schools seek your valuable input regarding how we are doing. Starting next school year (2013-2014) the school system wishes to obtain parent input as part of our new teacher evaluation system. As we are always looking for appropriate grant opportunities, we will use pertinent information to identify district needs, as well. Please take this 77 question survey, http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ParentSurveyHowDoing, by July 30th. The survey should take approximately 15-20 minutes. If needed, you may stop and restart the survey (“time-out”) after clicking NEXT at the bottom of each page. If you have more than one child in the school system, you may complete the survey for each child. If you prefer, paper copies are available at each of the schools’ main offices, at the Board of Education office, located in the Town Hall, or you may print one from the Digital Backpack by clicking here. Thank you - Jeffry P. Mathieu, Superintendent of Schools.
- PTO's Need Licensed CPA to Donate Services: The Colchester Cooperative PTO, which is comprised of CES, JJIS and WJJMS PTO's, is looking for a licensed CPA to prepare their tax return. They are all one non-profit organization whose fiscal year ends June 30th. The annual return is due on November 15th. The entire time commitment is approximately 4-8 hours per year. Please email email@example.com if you are able to donate your services or have any questions. Thank you for your support!
- 2013-2014 School Year Calendar: Please click here to view the calendar for NEXT year.
- The Perfect Day: Enjoy a Perfect Day of Golf, Food, Beverages, and Poker! The Perfect Day is a charity golf and poker tournament supporting C3 (Collaborative for Colchester’s Children) & the Wethersfield Early Childhood Collaborative. This event is co‐hosted by Massaro Wealth Management and Hathaway Financial Group. Register Online at www.theperfectdaytournament.org.
- Colchester Farmer’s Market: June 16th- October 20th. Every Sunday on the Town Green from 9am-1pm. Enjoy all locally grown and made fresh produce, meat, cheeses, soap, pottery, honey, maple syrup, plants, and more! June 16th Kick-Off Day! Come join us on the first day to enjoy entertainment such as: Live music performed by singer songwriter Jennifer Taylor at 10am; Kids Games and Activities; Inflatable Obstacle Course; and Hoola Hooping. (Co-sponsored by Colchester Parks and Recreation)
- 2013 Summer Concerts on the Green: Thursdays – 6:30 - 8:30 pm.
- Foster Families Needed: The Department of Children and Families needs foster families for children of all ages, particularly adolescents. Attend an information meeting where we will give descriptions of our foster family programs. Homes are especially needed for children under 5 and over 12 years old. Please click here for meeting dates and more information.
Bacon Academy News:
- Bacon Connects - Talk with Katie & Tommy: With Principal Ambruso, Tommy Lund, and Katie Stevens. Listen to the latest happenings at Bacon (6/4/13).
- Graduation 2013 – Important Dates and Information: Graduation ticket lists and Grad Night forms are due Friday, June 14th, in the Guidance Office. Mandatory Graduation Practices - Auditorium on three dates: Thursday, June 20th, from 12:30 p.m. to 1:45 p.m., Friday, June 21st, from 12:30 p.m. to 1:45 p.m., and Monday, June 24th, from 12:30 p.m. until NO LATER than 3:00 p.m. Cap/Gown and Graduation Tickets – will be distributed to Seniors at the first graduation rehearsal on Thursday, June 20th. If you will miss any of the mandatory graduation practices, your parent/caregiver must provide a letter to administration that provides the reason why you will miss rehearsal. You will be responsible for seeing Ms. Trinnaman in Guidance to pick up your cap/gown and tickets earlier that week. Senior Processing-Out Sheets – must be turned in to Mrs. Shea in the main office by 12:00 p.m. on Monday, June 24th in order to receive your diploma (in the Bobcat Den after the ceremony). Seniors must complete BOTH the Senior Exit Survey and the Graduation Survey at http://connection.naviance.com/bacon. Your final transcripts will be released based on this information. Obligations - Seniors should clear all obligations with Mrs. Shea in the main office by the end of their last class. No obligations will be accepted on graduation day. Obligations must be met before we will release diplomas and final transcripts to colleges/universities.
- Final Exam Policies, Procedures, and Early Dismissal Permission Form
- Schedule For Last Full Day Of School
- Bacon Academy’s Quick View Calendar - June
- English Department’s Summer Reading Philosophy: In this competitive day and age, literacy skills are essential. To help our students build their vocabulary, maintain their skill level, build background knowledge about the world, and prepare themselves for academic discourse, the following is our required summer reading assignment: 9th grade level 1- one free choice book; 9th grade level 2- one free choice book; 9th grade level 3- one free choice book, and either Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson or Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian by Sherman Alexie; 10th grade level 1- one free choice book; 10th grade level 2- one free choice book; 10th grade level 3- one free choice book, and Farewell to Manzanar by Jeanne Houston; 11th grade level 2- one free choice book; 11th grade level 3- one free choice book, and Angela’s Ashes by Frank McCourt; 12th grade level 2- one free choice book; 12th grade level 3- one free choice book, and The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. Cragin library has several copies of the books listed above. Honors U.S. History: All Students taking Honors U.S. History next year need to attend a mandatory informational meeting. The meeting will be on June 12th, Wednesday at 2:30pm in room 2109. Mandatory summer homework will be distributed at that time. AP US History Students: There will be a mandatory meeting for students taking AP United States History next year on Monday, June 10th, at 2:30pm in Rm. 2121. If you are unable to attend, please make arrangements with Mr. Frickman before the end of the school year. AP English Students: Attention all of next year's juniors who intend to take AP English. There will be a brief but MANDATORY meeting on Thursday, June 13th, in Mr. Dukette's room (#3154) at 2:20pm. The focus, expectations, and summer reading for the course will be explained. All must attend! AP Human Geography: All students taking AP Human Geography next year should attend an informational meeting on June 17th at 2:30pm in room 2119. Summer homework will be distributed at that time.
- Yearbook Senior Portraits (class of 2014) at Bacon: The following dates are when seniors (class of 2014) can come to Bacon over the summer for their yearbook photo session. July 22, July 29-30, August 5-7, 19-21. All students are responsible to make an appointment with Grynn & Barrett by calling 860-265-1440. Literature was handed out at the May 31st homeroom. Parents who did not get this information through the mail can call the high school for more information or call Grynn & Barrett directly. Students who miss any of these dates at Bacon, or do not go to the Enfield G&B studio, may get their portrait for yearbook done at the high school on Sept. 19-20.
- Attn BA Parents: Bacon Academy photos will be taken early this year. Undergraduate photos for yearbook/IDs, etc. will be taken on Sept. 9-10. Retake day is October 18th.
- Summer School: Summer school registration is currently open for enrollment. Summer PE slots are filling fast. All courses must be paid in full in order for a spot to be held. Credit recovery will run on an enrollment-needs basis. All checks should be made payable to Colchester Public Schools. Please write BA Summer School in the memo line. All registration forms and checks can be handed in to Mr. Dukette. Summer school begins Monday, July 1, 2013.
- Spring Concert: Congratulations to both the Bacon Academy Choir Director Marinne Cheney and Band Director Tom Kessler on a wonderful Spring Concert!
- Selected All-American: The National High School Coaches Association is proud to announce the 2013 NHSCA High School Academic All-Americans for the 2012-2013 school year. Matt McAllister competes in the sport of wrestling at Bacon Academy for Coaches Mike Voiland & Mike Morris, Jr. He currently has a 4.0 GPA and is ranked #23 in the class of 264. Matthew placed 2nd in the 2010 state championships, 3rd in 2011, 2nd in 2012, and was a state champion in 2013. He has a career record of 135-26. This is Matt’s 4th time being honored as an Academic All-American (Bacon Academy’s first student athlete to achieve this honor all four years). He was also named male scholar-athlete for Bacon Academy as recognized by the CAS-CIAC. Please click here for photo.
- Speed Booking Party Video: On May 15th students participated in a Speed Booking party. Students read a book prior to the party and then in three minutes or less they had to describe a book and convince a partner that they should read the book. Please click the link to see a brief video clip of the celebration http://animoto.com/play/d3tCvExGHKSYQDVsnKyypQ.
- Girl’s Outdoor Track & Field Athletes Place at Tournament: On May 29th, Bacon Academy Girl’s Outdoor Track & Field competed at the 2013 CIAC Class MM Track Championships, held at Middletown High School. Junior Sierra Cameron took first place for the Triple Jump and second for the Long Jump, while junior Danielle Maffuid placed first in the Pole Vault. Please click here for photos.
- Project Graduation
- Bacon Announces Class of 2013 Valedictorian, Salutatorian and Gilbert Lamb Essayist: Bacon Academy is honored to announce the Valedictorian, Salutatorian and Lamb Essayist for the Class of 2013: Megan Ganley, Valedictorian; Shannon Ganley, Salutatorian; and Zachary Grinfeld, Gilbert Lamb Essayist (Essay winner; topic was “Appreciation of Our Own”). We commend these exceptional students on their outstanding achievements! Please click here for photos.
- Interested In Seeing New Wonders? Do You Like Hiking And The Great Outdoors? Then check out this fabulous opportunity! A trip to Yosemite National Park. Trip highlights include; hikes in the park, sunset at glacier falls, a visit to see the Giant Sequoia trees, and a tour of San Francisco's Chinatown, Fisherman's Warf and Alcatraz. The price of $1999- includes all transportation, meals, and lodging. Payment plans are available and $99 is all that is required to secure a spot. If you are interested in finding out more, visit www.Grandclassroom.com for an itinerary or click the link below. Questions can be directed to Mrs. Hopkins or Mrs. Levasseur. The trip is open to all students in grade 9-12 and will take place during April vacation 2014. http://grandclassroom.com/trips/2014/baconacademy?format=pdf
- Bacon Academy 2013 Summer Reading Incentive at the Bacon LMC: Students who read at least one book of their choice this summer earn the chance at a prize. First, students read a book of their choice. Then they come to the LMC before September 13th to complete a quick, simple form. The grade level that has the most participants wins an extra prize. Individuals who participate in Cragin Memorial Library’s program and/or the Governor’s program will earn an additional reward. What to Read: Zombies are Cragin Memorial Library’s Summer Reading Theme this year. Track your summer reading online using Evanced and click on Teens in the top menu; Governor's Reading Challenge, Governor’s Suggested Summer Books for Grade 9-12. Track your summer reading online using Evanced and click on Teens in the top menu; For a list of Community Reads/One Book, One Region programs, click the link and view Community Reads; Ms. M’s “Looking for a Good Book” list; and Books for New Adults (age 18-25 years).
- Bacon Places in 2013 TEAMS Engineering Competition: Recently, students from Bacon Academy were recognized for their achievement in the Technology Student Association’s 2013 TEAMS (Tests of Engineering Aptitude, Mathematics and Science) Engineering Competition. Placing 8th out of 40 teams in Junior Varsity National Division 5, this team of students solved complex mathematical problems and provided answers to cyber security questions related to this year’s competition theme: “Engineering a Secure Cyberspace.” Teams of four to eight high school students annually prepare beginning in the fall for the one-day National TEAMS competition. Preparation includes extensive theme-related research as well as mathematical problem solving. This year's JV team from Bacon Academy consisted of the following students: Matt Lund, Jeff Noonan, Mitchell Hallee, Alex Levine, Alyssa Kranc, Danny Barrack, Colin Hiscox, and Paul Marrotte. Please click here for photos and more info.
- Lunch Menu
- Breakfast Menu
- ATTN sophomores and Parents/Caregivers: Please be reminded that all sophomore students are asked to submit their class dues of $10.00 by June 18th. Class dues can be submitted to Mrs. Williams-Kahn in the Guidance Office or Ms. Tamosaitis in room 3121. Checks can be made out to the Bacon Academy Class of 2015. Please include your name on the envelope when you drop them off. Dues are important to help offset the cost of proms and class trips and events.
- Project Graduation Website: Your one stop location for everything you need to know about Bacon Academy Project Graduation www.baconacademyprojectgrad.org.
- Senior Graduation Packet: This packet contains a wealth of information that should answer your questions about graduation. It is important that both seniors and parent/caregivers read this together. A copy will be mailed to all seniors, look for it in your mailbox soon!
- Bacon Academy Educator Has 5th Book Published: Colchester Public Schools is delighted to announce that John L. Stanizzi, Bacon Academy English teacher and theater director, recently released his fifth book of poems titled, “After the Bell”. The 1998 New England Poet of the Year (The New England Association of Teachers of English) has authored “Ecstasy Among Ghosts”, “Sleepwalking”, “Windows”, and Dance Against the Wall. He has had several works appear in other publications, such as The New York Quarterly, Tar River Poetry, Rattle, Freshwater, Passages North, The Spoon River Quarterly, Poet Lore, and The Connecticut River Review. After 21 dedicated years of teaching at Bacon Academy, Mr. Stanizzi has decided to retire at the end of this school year. Although he will be deeply missed by the students and staff we look forward to future works of art by this astounding eminent poet. His retirement coincides with his recent masterpiece, as it’s a collection of poems all about his years of teaching at Bacon. For more information on “After the Bell” and its prized author, please check out this website. Please click here for photos.
- Assessments in PowerSchool: Students in grades K-10 are given “universal screening” assessments three or four times a year so that we may monitor their progress in reading and math and assure they are receiving the instruction needed. Beginning in September, 2013, parents and teachers will have easy access to the results of these tests on the PowerSchool website. The information will be located on the PowerSchool page for each student, under the “academics” column. Because each assessment is a bit different, you may want to look closely at what the numbers for your child’s tests mean. To help assist you, please click here for score information.
- Please Donate Your Recorders (Music Instruments): Thanks to all who have donated their recorders! To date we have received 25 recorders that will be used for the third grade music program at JJIS, but we are looking for more! Do you have one or more recorders at home? Help Colchester reduce where we can, reuse what we have, and sustain our early music education program. Donate your recorder(s) back to Colchester Schools! Drop off your recorder(s) at JJIS, WJJMS, or Bacon Academy, either in the main office or the music department. Recorders are also accepted at the Board of Education office in Colchester Town Hall. Questions? Contact Donna Menhart at The Hartt School, University of Hartford: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Summer Resources and Websites for Students: The Colchester Public Schools web site has a list of educational resources and websites for your son/daughter to access this summer. Visit http://www.colchesterct.org/page.cfm?p=391. Good choices for online content are not always easy to find, and websites that help your students stay engaged and thinking during summer are even harder. One of the most important things your child can do this summer is to practice finding, evaluating and presenting research. This can be as simple or as complicated as your child wants to make it. The resources included help make this possible by covering reading, math, searching, typing and digital presentations... all links provided are educational resources. "All young people experience learning losses when they do not engage in educational activities during the summer."(Know The Facts). I hope that this list helps to keep your student engaged, reading, and learning this summer! Barbara Johnson, Technology Resource Teacher, Colchester Public Schools. Follow me on Twitter @technojohnson. Works Cited: "Know The Facts - National Summer Learning Association", 2009. Web. 24 May 2013.
- The Bacon Academy 210th Anniversary Party – All Class Reunion! August 3rd at Mohegan Sun Casino's Uncas Ballroom. Dinner, music, dancing, raffles, and memories (new & old)! Come and enjoy! Reservation deadline is July 19th. Please click here for information, details, and to RSVP.
- Thank You for Your Help & Donations: Thank you to everyone who helped the CES PTO say a heartfelt good-bye to principal Jackie Somberg. Special thanks to the area restaurants who donated the amazing food for the reception - Maria's Pizza Palace, Family Pizza, Angelo's Bakery, Tim's Bistro, Illiano's, and Papa Z's. Your generosity is greatly appreciated.
- The Colchester Board of Education Announces New CES Principal: Please click here.
- A Drive to Benefit Oklahoma Families: As you know the tornado of Oklahoma has devastated families and touched the hearts of many around the country. A select group of WJJMS students are running a drive to collect clothing of all sizes and kitchen essentials such as pots, pans, dishes, cups etc. Baby items such as strollers, car seats, and toys are also appreciated. The deadline is June 17th. Please consider making a donation. Donations can be dropped off at WJJMS. Thank you!
- New Volunteer Opportunity For Families: The Colchester Giving Garden is looking for volunteers to weed and harvest this summer. No experience is necessary. Come once this summer, once a month, or once a week for the length of time that works for you. Produce harvested will go to the Colchester Food Bank. Contact Colchester Youth and Social Services at 537-7235 to get on our email list for work days and times each week that our work group will be in the garden. Thank you!
- CYB Presents Bobcat Basketball Camp: June 26th-28th & July 1st & 2nd from 9 am - 12 pm at WJJMS for boys entering Grades 6– 9. Coach Fennell and the Bacon Academy staff have teamed up with CYB for another exciting basketball camp. Click here for more information and a registration form.
- It’s Not Too Late To Register For This Year’s Vacation Bible School! Camp will run June 24-28th from 6-8:30pm at St. Andrew’s and is free to all families! The program is designed for children entering grades K-5. Please register online at www.vacationbibleschool.com/standrewschurch or contact Tracey Wilson at email@example.com or 860-537-6201.
- Colchester Learning Foundation’s “Marked for Excellence” Teacher Recognition Program Makes Excellent End-of-Year Gifts: The end of the school year is fast approaching and many parents are thinking about how they will recognize the teachers and staff who made their children’s time in school special. The Colchester Learning Foundation’s (CLF) “Marked for Excellence” Recognition Program is an alternative to traditional end-of-year gift giving. For a nominal donation to CLF made in an educator’s name, the donor is provided with a gift that can be presented to the recipient by the student or delivered to the recipient’s school mailbox. Please click here for more details and order information.
- Girls’ Basketball Clinic: Colchester Parks and Recreation is sponsoring a girls’ basketball clinic for grades 7, 8, and 9 on July 22-26 from 9:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. in the Bacon Academy gym. The fee is $75, non-residents add $20. Pre-registration is required. This is a great opportunity for girls to learn fundamentals and improve on their existing skills. Clinic will consist of drills, scrimmages, and competition. The clinic is directed by Bacon Academy’s Girls’ Basketball Head Coach, Dave Shea, and Bacon Academy’s 2009, 2012, and 2013 state championship coaching staff. For additional information contact Parks & Rec at 860-537-7297. Register online at www.colchesterct.gov/rec. Space is limited.
Last Week's Digital Backpack