WJJMS 360 Norwich Avenue, Colchester CT 06415 Telephone: (860) 537-2313
October 13, 2017
- The 6th Grade Boo Bash is coming! Friday, October 27th is our Grade 6 Boo Bash Dance. It's a Costume Dance, so dress to impress! Check next week's Digital for the permission form. Proceeds go to the Music Department and Student Council.
- WJ ROCK BAND WINS BATTLE OF THE BANDS! Recently, the Bushnell put on a state-wide Battle of The Bands competition online for all middle schools. Groups had to be less than 10 students and be in middle school (grades 6-8). Click here for details of the event and photo of the students (8th graders Ryan Claffey, Matthew Kranc, Andrew Navickas, Carsyn Formanek, Kristy Robida, Austin Brown, and 7th graders Aden Taylor, James Chiaverini, Alex Constant, and Simone Pike) involved with the WJJMS Rock Band. Here's the video we submitted to the competition: https://youtu.be/SOgbuGTCvtc.
- PUMA NEWSLETTER: Please click here for our Puma Newsletter Version 1!
- GRADE 8 HEARING SCREENINGS: Dear 8th Grade families, State mandated hearingscreenings for 8th grade students will begin November 2nd during homeroom. Parents will be notified if their child does not pass and referred to their child's health care provider for further care. Any student screened by their doctor on/after 6/30/17 will not be tested. Please contact the William J. Johnston health office with any questions at 860-537-3511 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- AFTER SCHOOL CLUBS: Click for the after school clubs being offered at this time, and click here for the permission form. Sign up early! Space is limited. Click here for the after school club flyer, and click for the permission form. Sign up early for Chess, Green Screen/Video, Hair Braiding, Homework, Origami, Unity and Yoga Clubs! Space is limited.
- CONFERENCE DAY, OCTOBER 19th, 2017 - CALL TO SCHEDULE! If you have received a letter inviting you to conference, Please call Annette in the office to schedule a 15-minute conference with your student's team if you've received a letter inviting you to conference, at 860 537 2313. There are three types of conference letters that you could have received: One- A Conference is needed at this time, Two- No conference is needed at this time, and Three- A meeting is already scheduled for your child on (date).
- Lyman Orchard's Pie & Otis Spunkmeyer Cookie Dough fundraiser: Orders and payment are due Monday, 10/16! Our profit is 40%! Click here for the order form. Delivery is Tuesday, 11/14 from 2 - 7pm. in time for the holidays. Orders arrive frozen. It's important that you pick up your order by 7 pm on 11/14 but if you are unable to, please contact Michelle Toennes at 570 362 1706 or email@example.com to make alternate arrangements.
- BETA SOCIAL STUDIES WEB: Click on the Grade 6 Beta Team's Social Studies site here!
- CLUB CROSS COUNTRY RACE LOCATIONS: Click here for the Club Cross Country locations.
- PEACE POSTER CONTEST/Artistic Opportunity: The Lion's Club is sponsoring a contest with the of "The future is peace" and the posters are due by the end of October! Students who are 11,12 or 13 years old are eligible. See Ms. Graber or Ms. Taylor is you're interested. Click here for a Peace Poster informational sheet.
- PEER MEDIATORS: Would you like to learn how to solve conflicts? Want to know how to help others peacefully resolve their issues? Peer Mediators are students who have been trained to help other students resolve conflicts. Please let Ms. Graber know if you are interested or inquire at the office!
- PTO SURPLUS STORE OPENINGS/Shop Away! The PTO Surplus Store will be open on the following days: October 19th, November 2nd, 4th, 14th and December 2nd, 7th and 21st. Contact Renee Misbach at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. Stay tuned for the Holiday Store news and openings for students. Email Jessica Trusz with any questions at email@example.com..
- PUMA WEAR: Puma Wear is coming! Contact Cindy at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions and click here for the cool WJJMS logo.
- SKI CLUB: Did you miss the ski club meeting? No worries! Get a registration packet from the office or from Mrs. Lavoie in Rm. #114! Space is limited! Ski FOUR Friday nights in January. You may also click here for a ski club registration packet. Ski Club money and paperwork is due on Friday, October 20th, at 7:10 AM in gym A.
- WHEN STUDENTS ARE ABSENT FROM SCHOOL: Students check with their teachers upon their return to school. They're also free to email their teachers regarding assignments. Students are given extra time to finish work and reschedule quizzes or tests if they were missed. When the students are only out one or two days, work is not generally gathered. Often times there is no work to gather, it's on PowerSchool. If there is a subject-worry, please communicate with your student's teacher by emailing them or call the school at 860 537 2313. We ask parents to call the office after 2:15 pm. prior to coming in to pick up work to make sure that there is actually work to pick up. You may also wish to get your student's locker number and combination prior to your visit.
- GRADE 7 TECH SCHOOL VISITS: Each year, four school's representatives visit our Grade 7 students to present about their programs! October 17: Norwich Tech and Bacon Academy visit and October 18: Windham Tech and Lyman Vo-Ag visit.
- Youth Center: Open Youth Center provides a safe, drug and alcohol free drop-in center for middle school aged kids. Pre-registration is not required, but is highly preferred for the safety and well-being of all participants. Register on-line at www.colchesterct.gov/youth. Hours for Open Youth Center are: Grades 7 & 8 on Mondays. Grades 6 on Wednesdays from 2:00pm – 4:00pm
- Teens in Action- Food Bank: Every Tuesday during the school year from 2:30-3:30pm Grades 7-12: Students will sign up for a one month commitment, please only sign up for one month during the school year so that others are able to participate. Volunteers report to the Town Hall directly after school. Snack provided. Space is limited and pre-registration at www.colchesterct.gov/youth is required, so don’t wait to sign up!
- Sky’s The Limit: No School? How about a fun trip?! Students in grades 6-12 are welcome to join Youth Services for a day of fun on Thursday, October 19th from 9:00am-4:00pm. We will bounce around at Launch and then have lunch and play games at Dave and Busters. Jumping, buffet lunch, $20 power card, and unlimited video games are included for the $48 registration fee. Register online today! Flier attached here.
- The Mask You Live In:October 24, 2017 6:00-8:00pm at Cragin Library: Please join Colchester Youth Services, Safe Futures, and Cragin Library, for a free screening of the award winning documentary, The Mask You Live In. The film follows boys and young men as they struggle to stay true to themselves while negotiating America’s narrow definition of masculinity. The Mask You Live In ultimately illustrates how we, as a society, can raise a healthier generation of boys and young men. We invite all young men (ages 12 and up), with their Dad or other significant man in their lives, to attend the movie screening and discussion. Pre-registration is preferred but not required, by contacting Youth Services at (860)537-7255 or email@example.com. Dinner will be provided by Plum Tomato. Flier attached here.
- Fun, Food, & A Film: Join Youth Services for a day of fun on Tuesday, November 7th. We will be playing laser tag at Laser Quest, lunch at Five Guys Burgers & Fries, and going to a PG-13 movie at Metro Movies!! There is no better way to spend a day off from school! The trip will leave Town Hall at 9:00am and return at 4:00pm. This trip is for students in grades 6-12 and costs $41. (You'll want to bring a little extra spending money if you want snacks at the movies.) Flier attached here.
- Board of Education Meeting: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 in the Bacon Academy Media Center at 7:00pm.
- Collaborative Problem Solving Parenting Workshop: Are you parenting a behaviorally challenging kid? At your wits end? Maybe you’ve tried it all and you’re still struggling? Join us for a 4-part workshop that will introduce Collaborative Problem Solving (CPS), a strengths-based approach that brings new ideas and new hope for helping kids with behavioral challenges. Wednesdays, October 18,25 and November 1,8,15* Please call (860)537-7255 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
- The Department of Children and Families needs foster families for children of all ages. Click here for flier with details. For more information, call 1-888-KID-HERO or visit our website: www.ctfosteradopt.com
- Recycling Fundraiser at Bacon Academy: Click here for details.
- Boy Scout Troop 13 of Colchester Fundraiser- Thursday, 11/9/17 : Click here for flier with details.
- Trick or Trunk: Friday, October 20th 6-7:30pm. Click here for details.
- Scarecrow Contest! Classrooms and students are welcome to enter a scene as a classroom or even as a school. Get creative and show off your talents by creating a scene on the town green for its Annual Scarecrow Contest! Click here for flier with details.
- Mark your calendar because the Friends of the Cragin Memorial Library Book & Bake Sale: Just around the corner! October 13-15th click here for flier.
- Raffle to Benefit Bacon Academy Athletics: Friends of Football is sponsoring a raffle to raise money for Bacon Academy Athletics. 1st prize: 65" Smart XLED TV, 2nd prize: Apple iPad mini 4, 3rd prize: 2 tickets to Patriots v. Jets on 12/31/17. Tickets are $10.00 each and can be purchased at football games, from Lynette Dimock or by emailing email@example.com.
- UCFS Healthcare Behavioral Health Office Information: Take the Stress out of going back to school! Click here for details.
- Camp Harkness Playgroup: Saturday October 21st, Saturday November 11th, & Saturday December 16th. There is no fee. Registration is required. Contact April Dipollina at firstname.lastname@example.org or 860-271-4371.
- Costume Party on the Green Friday, October 13th: Click here for flier with details.
- Donate new or gently used coats, hats and mittens! The 3rd annual “Drive Away the Cold” Warm Clothing Drive is kicking off the week of October 23and will be running for two weeks benefiting our local children and adults in need. Collection bins will be in the front office of each school as well as at Noel’s Market and Stop & Shop. Click here for more information about what is needed!
- Venture Crew 710: Click here for flier with details.
- Food Bank Fundraiser: Drop off items for the food bank at the town hall in Contois meeting room one on October 20th from 4pm-6pm while shopping. Click here for details.
- Daisy Girl Scouts: Looking for Kindergarten girls to join their troop. For more information contact Kristen Incandella Email: email@example.com
Last Digital Backpack