WJJMS 360 Norwich Avenue, Colchester CT 06415 Telephone: (860) 537-2313
February 24, 2017
- March Menus: Lunch and Breakfast
- WJJMS Spring After School Clubs: Click here for the list of Spring After School Clubs and for permission form, click here.
- WJJMS Band Mentor Day is Tuesday, March 14th, 2017 from 2:15-3:45pm: Click here for details and permission slip.
- WJJMS Readathon: WJJMS students participated in a Readathon last week to celebrate literacy and to help others, both locally and globally. They read 19,992 pages and raised $2,062.96! The money will be going to the "Fuel" Bank in Colchester, helping our neighbors in need of heat, and also going to the children of Restavec Freedom Alliance in Chantal and Ducis, Haiti. These children lost a girls' home in the last hurricane. The money sent will allow us to finish putting a concrete roof on their home, thus ensuring their safety. We are very proud of our students and their kindness shown!
- Author Elizabeth Eulberg Skype Event February 22nd: Click here for photos!
- Braided Pastry and Lyman Orchards Crisp Fundraiser: The PTO will have the Kansas Maid Braided Pastry and Lyman Orchards Crisp fundraiser going out on Friday 3/3. The fundraiser is thru MCM Fundraising. It will run from Friday 3/3 - Monday 3/20. Pickup will be Thursday 3/30 from 2pm-7pm in the Surplus Store. The chair person is Jennifer Mocksfield (8th parent) email@example.com
- Visit from Author Paul Volponi: Paul Volponi is scheduled to visit WJJMS on March 21st. Mr. Volponi is the author of 11 novels for young adults that are currently being read in high schools and middle schools around the country. He is a writer, teacher, journalist living in New York City. For more information visit http://www.paulvolponibooks.com/Biography.htm.
- Scholastic Book Fair: March 27th-31st.
- Track Try Outs -Attention All Students Interested in Trying Out For The Track Team: Registration on Family ID is now open. You must register on-line and have a current physical on file with the nurse. Registration for track will close on March 20,2017 and at that time if you have not registered, you will not be able to register or tryout for the team. On March 20, there will be an informational meeting from 2-3 pm at which time the tryout, practice and meet schedule will be distributed. Link to Family ID click here.
- Box Tops: The WJJMS PTO will be collecting Box Tops through February 24th. Every Box Top is worth 10 cents! Every year thousands of dollars are earned to help support our students and teachers needs. Please clip, mark the bag with team name and send in with your student. Lets see if we can top the fall submission and see which team can bring in the most Box Tops.
- Surplus Store: The WJJMS PTO Surplus Store is open the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of the month from 2:15-7:00. Periodically the store does open on other days. Please follow us on Facebook @ WJJMS PTO Surplus Store for all the up today information
- Grades 7-12 -Teens In Action- Food Bank: Every Tuesday in March (7,14,21,28) from 2:30-3:30pm. This volunteer opportunity gives youth the chance to sort food donations, stock the shelves, and clean and organize the food bank. Volunteers will report to the Town Hall directly after school. Snack will be provided. Space is limited for this group, so don’t wait to sign up!
- Parents/Guardians of Sixth Grade Students: Is your 6th grade child up-to-date with a 2016 or 2017 physical and needed immunizations? Please call (860-537-3511) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) the WJJMS nurse's office to make sure. Students cannot start 7th grade until this information is received by the nurse's office per Connecticut state regulations
- WJ Coffee House is February 24th at CES
- NEW DATE! Holocaust Survivor Henny Rosenbaum Markiewicz Simon: Henny Simon will speak about her experience on Sunday, February 26th at the Federated Church at 3pm. Click here for details.
- Parents of Grade 8 Students: Bacon Academy Parent Evening for incoming freshmen is set for March 21st from 6 to 8 pm. at BA. Grade 8 Student Tours will be held on March 29 and 30 from 7:15 to 9:45 am. Students will take their buses directly to BA. Walkers can take a bus from WJJMS, or parents can drive their students directly to BA.
- Public Hearing Tuesday, February 28, 2017: Presentation of the Board of Education and Town Budgets at 7pm at the Town Hall Contois Meeting Room One.
- Board of Finance Budget Workshop, Thursday, March 2, 2017: Review Education Budget with Board of Education at 7pm.
- Early Childhood Screening For Children Three and Four Years Old: Should your child participate in an Early Childhood Screening? Yes! Child development is variable and many parents have questions about their 3 or 4 year old child’s growth. Colchester Public School welcomes you to bring your child to the Colchester Early Childhood Program for a developmental screening. Click here for details.
- School Buses with Surveillance Cameras: M&J Bus Company has installed cameras on their school buses as an ongoing effort to improve passenger/student safety.
- 2/25/17: Teachers Will Take the Plunge February 25! JJIS Physical Education/Health Teachers Eric Shane and Anne DiFranco will be taking the plunge to support Special Olympics and JJIS Unified Sports Program. You could help support this cause and the teachers reach their goal by clicking on the link https://www.classy.org/fundraiser/822445. It’s quick and easy to sponsor and no minimum amount is required.
- 2/26/17: NEW DATE! Holocaust Survivor Henny Rosenbaum Markiewicz Simon: Henny Simon will speak about her experience on Sunday, February 26th at the Federated Church at 3pm. Click here for details.
- 2/27/17: When your child or teen feels loved, you will... Experience more peace in your home Have fewer behavior challenges and disagreements, Set your child up for healthy relationships in the future. Click here for details. Monday, February 27th 6:00-7:30pm.
- Are You Parenting A Behaviorally Challenging Kid? Click here for details on this workshop.
- Bacon Girls Lacrosse Boosters Fundraisers On 3/2 and 3/10: Inishmor on Thursday, March 2, 2017, starting at 3:00 p.m. Please join the girls for an evening of good company and great food as 10% of the proceeds for the entire evening will go to support the program and the girls! Friday, March 10, 2017 at the Bengal Tiger Hot Yoga from 6:00 -7:30 p.m. Suggested donation is $10, but any amount is welcome. 100% of the proceeds will go to support the program and the girls. Thank you for your continued support!
- Musical Storytelling! The Colchester Civic Orchestra and Choir will present a concert on Saturday, March 18, 2017. Click here for details.
- Cragin Library March Programs: Craig Library has many wonderful programs for our community! For upcoming March Children Programs click here and Teen Programs here.
- Colchester Youth and Social Services: Colchester YSS offers many services and programs for our Colchester community. Click here for more information.
- Register now for Collaborative Problem Solving Parenting Workshop Starting 3/1/17: Are you parenting a behaviorally challenging kid? At your wits end? Maybe you’ve tried it all and you’re still struggling? Join us, click here for details. A 4-part workshop that will introduce Collaborative Problem Solving (CPS), a strengths-based approach that brings new ideas and new hope for helping kids with behavioral challenges.
- Boy Scout Troop 13 of Colchester: Fundraiser on Thursday March 2nd from 3:00pm-8:00pm at Plum Tomato of Colchester. Plum Tomato will donate 10% of their sales to Troop 13. Contact here for flyer with details.
- Babysitting Safety Course (date change): Colchester Youth & Social Services is offering a Babysitting Safety Course for youth 11 and older. The course will be held at the Colchester Town Hall on the Tuesdays; March 7, 14, 21, 28, April 4 and 25 from 5:00-6:30pm. Visit www.colchesterct.gov/youth or contact youth services at (860) 537-7255.
- Colchester Baseball and Softball League Registration is Open For Spring Season! Please go to www.CBSL.org to register. Registration is online and only takes a few minutes.
Be the first to know about the latest CPS News! @CPSSupt