WJJMS 360 Norwich Avenue, Colchester CT 06415 Telephone: (860) 537-2313
March 24, 2017
- Budget Schedule Updated- Board of Finance Reviews Board of Education Budget on Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at the Town Hall at 7:00pm. Click here for updated schedule.
- Parents of Grade 8 Students: Grade 8 student tours will be held on March 29 (PI Team) and 30 (Zeta Mu) from 7:15 to 9:45 am. Students will take their buses directly to BA. Walkers can take a bus from WJJMS, or parents can drive their students directly to BA.
- Dear 8th Grade Parents and Caregivers: On March 28, 2017, the PowerSchool Portal will open for students to enter their elective course selections. All 8th graders will go to Bacon Academy on March 29th or 30th from 7:15am to 9:45am ( Students will take their buses directly to BA, walkers can take a bus from WJJMS, or parents can drive their students directly to BA) to enter their elective course selections with the assistance of staff. The deadline to enter elective course requests is April 28, 2017. To aid in the selection of elective courses, please carefully read the attached message.
- Track Information for Parents/Caregivers attached here.
- WJJMS Book Fair will be held March 27 - March 31st. It's a camping theme! And Guess What? YOU can be part of the fun! To help raise money for All for Books, we will be hosting a Bug Challenge! What does this mean? Staff volunteers will be part of the challenge. Only ONE lucky staff member will WIN (or lose depending on how you view it). This lucky staff member will get to eat an edible insect (yes, they do exist - some even in bacon-cheddar flavor) doesn't that sound appetizing? How it works: We'll have a container with the staff volunteer's names and/or picture on it. Kids and staff can put in spare change, etc. to the container. The person's container with the most $$ wins! The $$ goes to All For Books. Scholastic matches the donations and our library will also get to pick free books from this.
- WJJMS Special Book Fair Hours! On March 30th we're having special book fair hours open 2:15- 6 pm! Scholastic Book Fair information here.
- Save the Date-May 12th! The Empty Bowls Dinner will be held Friday, May 12th. Click here for details. At the empty bowls evening, we'll have art on display, an innovations and computer literacy display, the jazz band will be performing, and a drama club skit will be put on produced by students and the WJ book fair! Additional Art Offerings for Colchester Youth can be found at Purring Pottery here in Colchester. Please see the Spring sessions for classes in Hand-building or Throwing on-the-wheel.
- April Teens in Action- Food Bank Gr. 7-12: Every Tuesday in April (4,11,18,25) from 2:30-3:30pm. This volunteer opportunity gives youth the chance to sort food donations, stock the shelves, and clean and organize the food bank. Volunteers will report to the Town Hall directly after school. Snack will be provided. Space is limited for this group, so don’t wait to sign up!
- School Based Food Banks: Kids do NOT have to qualify to use the pantry, just talk to a teacher, nurse, social worker, or school counselor and they will set up a time for a confidential visit. The pantry is stocked with non-perishable food, personal hygiene items, and school supplies for them to take home or use as they need to. For more information or questions, contact CYSS at (860)537-7255 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- April Vacation Trips with Colchester Youth Services: Youth Services trips attached here.
- Parents, Don't miss this one! Community Conversations: An amazing and unique opportunity to learn what no one else is going to tell about teen drug and alcohol trends. Click here for details.
- Students, Don't miss this one! Click here for details.
- Braided Pastry and Lyman Orchards Crisp Fundraiser: Pickup will be Thursday 3/30 from 2pm-7pm in the Surplus Store. The chair person is Jennifer Mocksfield (8th parent) email@example.com
- Senior Citizen's Ball -Thursday, April 22nd: Senior Ball at WJJMS 3:30pm-4:30pm! Click here for flyer with details.
- Surplus Store: The WJJMS PTO Surplus Store is open the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of the month from 2:15-7:00.
- Parents/Guardians of Sixth Grade Students: Is your 6th grade child up-to-date with a 2016 or 2017 physical and needed immunizations? Please call (860-537-3511) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) the WJJMS nurse's office to make sure. Students cannot start 7th grade until this information is received by the nurse's office per Connecticut state regulations.
- Dear Parents/Guardians, Staff and Community Members: Please read the following letter from Board Chairman Goldstein attached here.
- Budget Schedule Updated: Click here for calendar of dates.
- Board of Finance Reviews Board of Education Budget: Wednesday, April 5, 2017
- Early Childhood Screening For Children Three and Four Years Old: Colchester Public School welcomes you to bring your child to the Colchester Early Childhood Program for a developmental screening. Click here for details.
- “High In Plain Sight” - a MUST see program for all parents! Do not miss this amazing and unique opportunity to hear what no one else is going to tell you about teen drug and alcohol trends. Officer Jermaine Galloway presents a “Mock Teen Bedroom” and challenges parents to find drug and alcohol related items that most parents would never be able to identify. With this training, you’ll learn about drug trends and signs such as: concealment areas, hidden containers, music, clothing, logos and more. You can’t stop what you don’t know.
- Cub Scout Pack 109 – Pancake Breakfast: Saturday, March 25th 8am – 11am at the Westchester Congregational Church. Come help support pack 109 with a pancake breakfast and door prizes, Adults $8 and Kids & Seniors $5. For more information click here.
- Save the Date-May 12th! The Empty Bowls Dinner will be held Friday, May 12th. Click here for details.
- Eagle Scout Project (Colchester StoryWalk) by Jack Boyden, Troop 72. What is a StoryWalk™? Have you ever found yourself wondering how you could give back to your Community. . . . What could YOU do to contribute to bettering Colchester? Our StoryWalkTM is a way you can do just that. Click here for details.
- Proposal for Implementation of StoryWalkTM at Cohen Woodlands: Click here to view proposal.
- Spring Parks and Recreation Programs: The Colchester Connection Spring 2017 edition available and a link is here. For more information visit www.colchesterct.gov/parks. April Vacation Programs Parks and Recreation: April Vacation LEGO Engineering Camp at CES! Register online www.colchesterct.gov/rec.Camp SPARK Program
- 12th Annual Colchester Spring Clean Up: April 8th from 9 am – 12 pm: Volunteer to beautify Colchester! The first 75 pre-registered volunteers will receive a free t-shirt! Make-up date of April 22. Visit www.colchesterct.gov/rec to register and learn more!
- Colchester Cooperative Nursery School Open House 4/8/17: Saturday, April 8th from 9:00am -10:30am for the 2017-18 school year. Teachers and members of the executive board will be available to answer your questions. Parents and children are welcome to attend this event. Click here for details.
- Farm to School/Healthy Eating Recipe of the Week: Perfectly Roasted Sweet Potatoes! Here is an easy way to get those yams tender and sweet without burning. Feel free to use the finished product in soups, pancakes, as a pizza topping, or simply eat it as is! Click here for the recipe: http://empoweredsustenance.com/bake-a-sweet-potato/
- April Vacation Programs at Cragin Library: Click here.
- April Programs at Cragin Library: For kids here and for teens click here.
- 4/02/17: Lions Annual Bunny Blast: Lions annual Bunny Blast details here.
- 4/04/17: Community Conversations: Parents, Don't miss this one! Click here for details.
- 4/08/17: 24th Annual Fisherman's Breakfast: Click here for details.
- 4/08/17: 12th Annual Colchester Spring Clean Up: April 8th from 9 am – 12 pm
- 4/08/17: CC Nursery School Open House from 9am-12noon
- 4/22/17: Senior Citizen's Ball: Senior's Ball at WJJMS 3:30pm-4:30pm! Click here for flyer.
Be the first to know about the latest CPS News! @CPSSupt