BA 611 Norwich Avenue, Colchester, CT 06415 Telephone: (860) 537-2378
January 12, 2018
- Monday, January 15th NO SCHOOL
- Bacon Parent Council Meeting: Attached is the agenda for Monday’s meeting.
- Exams: Bacon Academy mid-year exams are currently scheduled for Monday January 22 - Thursday January 25. Weather events may necessitate changes to this schedule; please stay tuned for future updates.
- Reminder to Norwich students traveling to Bacon Academy, please see attached letter detailing inclement weather and bus schedule.
- 2018 Football Awards Banquet: Sunday, January 14, 2018 from 1:00-5:00 pm at Georgina's Banquets, Bolton. Players and coaches attend for free. Guest tickets are $30 for adults, $16 for children 12 and under. Call or text Jamie Guifarro at 860-961-6657 to purchase tickets.
- Community Conversations- Hidden in Plain Sight: Wednesday, January 17th for an amazing and unique opportunity to learn what no one else is going to tell you about teen drug and alcohol trends. Click here for details.
- Quebec Trip Mandatory Meeting: For all students going to Quebec on Friday, January 19th in room 3158 during the Advisory period.
- Pay to Play: Pay to Play dues are past due as of December 15th. Please use form and submit payment. Thank you
- ATTENTION SENIOR PARENTS! PARENT ADS ARE DUE JANUARY 31ST! To order your parent ad you must go online with the website provided. Any questions or concerns please contact Mr. Lane at firstname.lastname@example.org. Linkto ads: http://www.jostens.com/apps/shop/yrbk_ra_flash.asp?CID=134782&PFID=2016092704224535092
- The State of Connecticut has put together resources to support Mastery-Based Learning. Many teachers in the English and World Language departments have implemented standards-based grading to support students mastering skills. You can find those resources here and a list of Frequently Asked Questions here.
- In collaboration with Project Courage, Bacon Academy is fortunate to have an in house substance abuse counselor who lends support to our students. Our counselor’s name is Ben Backes. Ben has met with multiple advisory classes as well as counseled students independently. If you know someone who would benefit from these confidential services please feel free to email Ben at email@example.com.
- The Music Department Trip (April 12-15)to Washington DC is in full planning process: If you are a student who chose to not go, and wish you could, see Mr. Kessler/Mrs. Cheney right away. YOU CAN STILL GO!
- Music Events: Eastern Region Music Festival Friday Jan 5-Sat Jan 6. All State Auditions - Sat Jan 27. BA/RHAM Jazz Night at RHAM HS - Feb 8. Berklee HS JAZZ Festival - Feb 10-11
- Diversity Club will meet January 9th and 23rd in Room 1119 at 2:20-3:00: All members should attend to prep for our event. Questions? See Ms. Murphy, Haley Korzac, Pranav Thaker, Angie Bogle or Jae Park!
- Bacon Athletics Calendar Link: Click here to view the CIAC sports calendar for the month
UPDATE FROM THE SCHOOL COUNSELING OFFICE
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER!
Follow @BaconCounseling for timely department information!
THREE RIVERS COMMUNITY COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIPS
Three Rivers offers a wide variety of credit and non-credit degree programs. Choose from 49 majors, including Transfer Ticket Degree Programs to Connecticut State Universities, our highly regarded Technology Studies, Nursing, Criminal Justice, Engineering, Graphic Design, and much more. The College has transfer and articulation agreements with a wide array of colleges and universities to allow students a seamless transition into their four-year degree. The Three Rivers College Foundation is excited to share with you our scholarship application. Last year, we awarded more than $400,000 in student scholarship aid. We hope you will share this information with your students. Please contact the Institutional Advancement Office if you have any further questions regarding the scholarship program. Applications can be found online at www.threerivers.edu/scholarships
UCONN Pre-College Summer will offer over 30 academic courses this summer. For more information, visit: https://precollege-summer.uconn.edu/?inf_contact_key=16ebc66ce5f5d73cabd2ef4715ea7719e7b820a2e75343a0319cba1e0ba27941
Art: Comics & ‘Zines
Art: Graphic Design
Digital Media: Game Design
Dramatic Arts: Theatre
Forensic Science: Exploring DNA
Forensic Science: Proteins & Biomarkers
Makerspace: Intro to ArduinoMakerspace: Personal Fabrication
Marine Biology and Oceanography
Pre-Vet: Animal Health & Veterinary Science
Pharmacy: Explore the Field
Pharmacy: Medicinal Chemistry & Drug Discovery
Pre-Med: Explore the Medical Field
Pre-Med: Human Anatomy & Physiology
Pre-Med: Human Pathology: Injury & Trauma
Pre-Med: Kinesiology: Human Movement Science
Pre-Med: Medical Anthropology & Global Health
Pre-Psych: Psychology and Neuroscience
Sociology: Human Behavior
Sociology: Social Justice
- As you hear back from schools, update your acceptance status in Naviance! (It’s a graduation requirement.)
- Check your email every day for messages from colleges, and log in to your college portals to make sure all materials have been received.
- Any Senior who has not begun post-secondary plans should look at community colleges. Classes DO fill, so early registration is advised:
- Free FAFSA assistance at Manchester Community College: Sat., 2/24/18 from 10 a.m.-12 p.m., location to be determined. For more information, visit https://www.manchestercc.edu/enrollment/financial-aid/.
- Tips for finding scholarships: https://www.princetonreview.com/college-advice/finding-college-scholarships?exid=a98344e3-e0d0-4465-8f5a-99de60fd5092
- Scholarships are coming in every day! Look for them in Naviance, the PowerSchool Daily Announcements, and on the School Counseling Twitter: @BaconCounseling.
- Major scholarship sites: Naviance: connection.naviance.com, fastweb.com, scholarships.com, collegeboard.org, wiredscholar.com, salliemae.com.
- Big Y is giving out 300 Scholarships for merit and achievement!! www.bigy.com Deadline is Feb. 1, 2018.
- TESTING: Because Juniors have a lot of testing in the Spring, it’s best to plan out what you can. All Juniors will take the School Day SAT on March 21, 2018. There is no essay component for this test; an SAT WITH ESSAY is recommended in addition (see link below to dates). Check to see if colleges of interest require the ACT or SAT Subject Tests. AP Testing is during the month of May 7-18. Here is the AP testing calendar: https://apstudent.collegeboard.org/takingtheexam/ap-calendar.
2017-18 SAT/ACT TEST DATES
For the list of the School Counseling Department Assignments click here.
Sharon Gagne, firstname.lastname@example.org
Andrea Merry, email@example.com
Ronald Sefchik, 9th Grade Transition Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Melanie Wehrenberg, email@example.com
Donna DesSureault, Guidance Office Professional, firstname.lastname@example.org
Amy Trinnaman, Guidance Office Professional, email@example.com
@BaconAcademy FOR SCHOOL COUNSELING DEPARTMENT UPDATES!