Board of Education Committees
The Board of Education has three standing committees. The Board Chair, with the approval of the Board, may also appoint additional standing committees or temporary ad-hoc committees as may be needed. The standing committees, their primary responsibilities, and links to more information on each are listed below. Please note that this is just a general description of Committee responsibilities. The function and responsibilities of all Committees are subject to Board oversight.
- Monitors all operating expenditures (by line item) and receives monthly expenditure reports from the Chief Financial Officer;
- Reviews all budget transfers between line items and, when required, votes on such transfers for presentation to the Board;
- Reviews capital expenditures and proposals for capital projects;
- Together with the Superintendent and the administrative team, develops budget proposals, prepares budget presentations and participates in such presentations as needed;
- Presents budget proposals to the Board of Finance and at Town Meetings; and
- Provides guidance and authorization (when needed) to the Superintendent and the administrative team on all matters expected to have a financial impact on the District.
For a list of members, meeting schedule, agendas and minutes of the Budget Committee, please click here.
For a list of members, meeting schedule, agendas and minutes of the Personnel Committee, please click here.
- Reviews personnel-related issues and, when appropriate, prepares matters for presentation to the Board;
- Participates in negotiations of all union contracts;
- Conducts the annual evaluation of the Superintendent, including the preparation of the evaluation tool, collection of responses and presentation of evaluation to Superintendent; and
- Negotiates the Superintendent’s contract.
- Reviews and, when needed, proposes revisions to all Board policies, regulations and bylaws as needed to ensure consistency with the District mission statement and best practices;
- Together with Board counsel and other advisors, reviews and, when needed, proposes revisions to all Board policies, regulations and bylaws for compliance with state and federal laws; and
- Develops new Board policies as appropriate.
For a list of members, meeting schedule, agendas and minutes of the Policy Committee, please click here.