Bacon Academy Summer School is a credit recovery and credit advancement program. Summer School provides students from Colchester and surrounding communities an opportunity to recover credit for a subject failure in the previous academic year, or the ability to earn credit in electives that may or may not be offered during the regular academic year. All Summer School courses are taught by Connecticut certified teachers.
SUMMER SCHOOL HANDBOOK
Bacon Academy Summer School is a credit recovery and credit advancement program. Summer School provides students from Colchester and surrounding communities an opportunity to recover credit for a subject failure in the previous academic year, or the ability to earn credit in electives that may or may not be offered during the regular academic year. All Summer School courses are taught by Connecticut certified teachers3.
Credit recovery courses are four weeks of mixed in-class and online instruction. On-campus classes take place from 8:00-11:00 in the morning. Courses commence June 26, 2017 and end July 21, 2017. Students who wish to enroll in credit recovery courses must be granted permission in writing by their teacher. NOTE: The July 4th holiday will be observed. Teachers will inform students of changes to the schedule that will accommodate 60 credit hours.
Credit advancement courses are six weeks of online instruction beginning June 20, 2017 and ending July 28, 2017(Note: Summer PE Begins June 17th, 2017). Students registering for an online course in Civics are required to attend a one hour training at Bacon Academy scheduled for June 20 at 8:00am. Students of credit advancement courses are also required to attend a comprehensive exam at Bacon Academy on July 28, 2017. ALL CREDIT ADVANCEMENT COURSES ARE OPEN TO BACON STUDENTS ONLY! ONLY CREDIT RECOVERY COURSES ARE OPEN TO NON-BACON STUDENTS!
Tuition costs vary for each course. All course tuition is borne by individual students or their families. Tuition must be received by June 26, 2017(Except of Summer P.E.). Registration slots will not be held for a student until payment has been received. Payment can be made in the form of check or money order made payable to Bacon Academy Summer School. Please send payment to the following address:
ATTN: Bacon Academy Summer School
Colchester Public Schools
611 Norwich Ave.
Colchester, CT 06415
Registrants are advised that a refund of tuition is not granted to students who withdraw or otherwise eliminate themselves from the program once it has begun. Courses without sufficient enrollment or a qualified teacher will be cancelled on or before the conclusion of the first week of class. Students registered in said course will be notified and tuition reimbursed.
Physical Education $150
Credit Recovery $250
Elective Courses $350
Regular attendance is required for credit recovery courses. All on campus classes begin promptly at 8:00AM. Tardiness 2 times for less than 10 minutes counts as 1 absence. Tardiness for more than 10 minutes counts as 1 absence. Only 1 absence is permitted. More than the allowed absences will result in the loss of credit for the course. Tuition will not be refunded.
To maintain a strong foundation for learning, Summer School students will demonstrate the Five Core Values of Bacon Academy: Respect, Responsibility, Achievement, Safety, and Compassion. In addition, participants must recognize that rules and regulations prescribed for Bacon Academy students during the normal academic year, September through June, prevail during Summer School. These are supplemented by regulations designed specifically for Summer School. They are as follows:
- Classes begin promptly at the designated time.
- No student will be admitted to class unless his/her name is on the official class list.
- No guests are allowed.
- Transportation is the responsibility of parents or students.
- Use of tobacco in the school building or school grounds will warrant immediate dismissal from Summer School.
- Dress code will be adhered to in accordance with the Bacon Academy Student Handbook.
Bacon Academy Summer School reserves the right to dismiss any student for just cause. A dismissal of a student will result in a forfeiture of tuition and credit.
All students applying to Summer School must register for courses by June 26, 2017(except for summer school PE). Registration can be made by mail or in person. Students are required to complete the registration form accessible in the guidance department at Bacon Academy.
- The student must have completed the failed course and taken the final examination.
- The student must have completed at least 70% of assignments in the course.
- The student must have the written recommendation from the teacher whose course he/she failed (as indicated on the General Application)
- Students who lose credit because of the attendance policy can take Summer School courses to recover credit with the permission of the teacher.
- Students must not have exceeded the maximum of 2 credits toward graduation through Summer School.
ISSUANCE OF CREDIT AND APPEAL OF GRADES
Credit will be issued by Bacon Academy Summer School in the form of a written letter signed by the Summer School Director. A copy of the letter will be sent to the family of the student, as well as to the guidance office by August 2017. Any and all appeals of grades earned must be submitted in a formal letter, addressed to the Director of Bacon Academy Summer School, within two weeks after the start of the upcoming academic year. Appeal forms can be accessed in the guidance office at Bacon Academy. Two credits is the maximum number of Summer School credits that can be recovered for a Bacon Academy diploma, whether it is at Bacon Academy or of another program. A student’s failing grade is calculated into his or her cumulative GPA.
CREDIT FOR ADVANCEMENT
Bacon Academy will be offering Summer School courses for Civics and Physical Education. With the exception of Summer School PE, Summer School credit advancement courses will be included in a student’s cumulative GPA.
Students must meet the following requirements to recover credit:
- Attend a minimum of 21 on-campus credit hours
- Earn a grade of 70% or higher
- Exhibit a positive work ethic and eagerness to recover credit
- Retain no obligations for the applied course (Bacon Academy students only)
Students must meet the following requirements to earn advanced credit:
- Complete the online training
- Earn a grade of 60% or higher
- Attend an in-house final exam (July 28, 2017)
Summer Physical Education will be opened for enrollment for Seniors April 17, 2017. Enrollment for Juniors-Sophomores will begin April 24th. Enrollment for Freshman will begin May 8th. Enrollment will close May 28th and the class will run from June 17th, 2017-July 28th, 2017.
Students must meet the following requirements to earn Physical Education credit:
Attend the mandatory introductory meeting to receive the watch (Two meetings will be scheduled for the end of school year: June 1st, and June 8th) Look to digital backpack for announcements.
- Earn a grade of 60% or higher
- Sophomores must attend one of the three mandatory state testing days. If a student does not attend one of these meetings they will not be issued credit.
- Return an operational heart-rate monitor to the instructor at the conclusion of the course at a mandatory meeting held July 28, 2017.
NOTE: Heart-rate monitors, once issued, are the responsibility of the student. Students will be charged the appropriate repair fees for damaged, and full cost of the heart-rate monitor if it is lost. Credit will not be issued until the heart-rate monitor is returned.