BA 611 Norwich Avenue, Colchester CT 06415 Telephone: (860) 537-2378
November 8, 2019
- No School - Monday, November 11, 2019/Veterans Day
- Tuesday, November 12, 2019 is an A DAY
- Friday, November 15, 2019 is a FLEX DAY
- Basketball: There will be a girls basketball organizational meeting on Friday, November 15, in Portable 10 at 2:20PM. This meeting is a mandatory meeting for girls planning to try out for the freshman, JV or Varsity teams.
- The Connecticut State Dept of Motor Vehicle is offering its annual Teen Safe Video Contest: Refer to https://ct.gov/teendriving/contest for more information . Deadline is December 13th.
- Freshman Class dues are still due! Please pay $10 to Mrs. Steele in room 2148.
- Colchester Youth Basketball (CYB): Online registration for recreational basketball is open. Recreation leagues 9-12th grade boys and girls. Leagues will begin in Mid November. Parents please indicate at registration if you would like to be considered as a coach or for other volunteer roles. If you have any questions please contact CYB at email@example.com. Please visit http://www.colchesterbasketball.org to register (click on available programs) . For further and updated info https://www.facebook.com/ColchesterYouthBasketball/.
- Save the Date! The Bacon Academy Sleigh Bells Arts and Crafts Fair is Saturday, December 7, 2019: Visit our BA Sleigh Bells Facebook page to see works by our fabulous crafters: https://www.facebook.com/BaconAcademyART/ A complete list of crafters/vendors will be available after November 1.
- COME OUT AND SHOW SOME SPIRIT on Saturday, November 9th at 12:00 at the Homecoming Varsity Football Game!
- The Bacon Academy Visual Arts Department is proud to present one of our own: click here to view for details!
- Canned Food Drive: BA senior Jamie Lombardi will be running a non perishable canned food drive from November 4th to the 30th.
- Bacon Athletics Registration is open for winter sports registration. New online registration is now available in the parent portal of PowerSchool. Click here for instructions or to access the link in the Parent Portal link click here.
- Don’t miss out on purchasing the 2019-2020 yearbook! Books are currently $65. Order at www.jostensyearbooks.com.
- Project Graduation: Project Graduations next meeting is Tuesday, November 12 at 7 pm in the Bacon Academy Cafeteria. We are working on keeping our kids safe and drug/alcohol free during the riskiest time of year for teens; graduation. We would love your ideas! Your company, your skills & creativity!
* Our next volunteer opportunity is Sunday, November 10 at UCONN Gampel Pavilion. It's not too late to sign up! It is just the beginning of basketball season so check out all of our volunteer opportunities! The money you earn working goes directly to your child's class! Sign up here:-https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0449aeab2da7fc1-uconn1 https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0449aeab2da7fc1-uconn1 >
* Smarter Appliance has teamed up with Project Grad for a fundraiser: a portion of purchases made at Smarter Appliance between Oct. 1-Dec.31 will be donated to Project Grad. When making your next purchase, make sure to bring the letter linked here: Caution-http://www.baconacademyprojectgrad.org/content/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Smarter-Appliance-flyer.pdf http://www.baconacademyprojectgrad.org/content/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Smarter-Appliance-flyer.pdf
UPDATE FROM THE SCHOOL COUNSELING OFFICE
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Follow @BaconCounseling for timely department information!
Save the Date: The School Counseling office will have Gloria Dover, FAFSA expert, available for FREE help by appointment only on Wednesday, November 13th from 7:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. Please call the office at (860) 537-2378 ext. 2206 (Mrs. Blumberger) or ex. 2205 (Mrs. DesSureault) to schedule an appointment during this time. Ms. Dover requires the following information for these appointments: tax information for 2017, parent’s Social Security Numbers, parent’s date of birth, parent’s marriage or divorce dates, and parent’s email addresses. *These appointments are particularly helpful for students with unusual circumstances.
GE REAGAN FOUNDATIONS has released on scholarship opportunities for student leaders. Click here for more information. Deadline is January 3, 2020.
JUNIORS AND SENIORS College representatives are starting to book visits to Bacon Academy. Log on to your Naviance account and on the front page you can see the colleges that will be visiting Bacon. Register in Naviance to meet with a college representative. If you have class during the time of the rep visit stop by the guidance office for a pass. Remember-you are responsible for any work you are missing when visiting a college rep. Any questions see Mrs. DesSureault or Mrs. Blumberger in guidance.
Beginning September 1, 2019, applications will be accepted for the 2020 Aspirations in Computing awards. The awards are sponsored by the National Center for Women and Information Technology (NCWIT) whic is an organization of more than 1100 universities, corporations, non-profits and government organizations that works to increase women’s participation in computing and technology. Here is the link for the two scholarships available through NCWIT--.Aspirations in Computing High School Award (November 5th deadline) and Aspirations in Computing Educators Award (December 2nd deadline).
DUAL ENROLLMENT INFORMATION: Please visit this link to view our partnerships and current dual enrollment classes offered.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR SENIORS:
Scholarship opportunities: Click Here for the link to some scholarship opportunities offered by the CollegeBoard:://opportunity.collegeboard.org/parents-educators?SFMC_cid=EM151770-&rid=47597748
Release of Information for Scholarships: The School Counseling Office will be following the FERPA guidelines with regards to sending out information pertaining to requests for Scholarships. Students will need to fill out a scholarship request form for every scholarship they apply for. The counseling office will require (5) days to fulfill your request. It is your responsibility to watch deadline dates
KEEPING YOUR RESUME UPDATED It is important for all students to keep their resume in Naviance updated. The counseling department references student resumes for awards and opportunities that become available.
- Letters of Recommendation: Select ALL SCHOOLS in Naviance when requesting a teacher letter of recommendation! If you have selected each school individually, delete those requests and re-enter ONE request for ALL SCHOOLS. Note, there IS a delay when you will receive notification that teachers have uploaded letters.
- Wondering what you should be doing? Here’s the Senior Planning Cheat Sheet:
- Wondering “who does what” in college planning? click here
NEW DATES!! SAT and ACT: Please visit here for all SAT and ACT test dates:
SCHOOL COUNSELING DEPARTMENT
- Melanie Wehrenberg firstname.lastname@example.org ; ext. 2210
- Sharon Gagne email@example.com ; ext. 2207
- Ronald Sefchik firstname.lastname@example.org ; ext. 2212
- Ashley Zaugg email@example.com ; ext. 2211
- Jasmine Morton firstname.lastname@example.org; ext. 2208
- Donna DesSureault, Guidance Office Professional, email@example.com ; ext. 2205
- Marlene Blumberger, Guidance Office Professional, firstname.lastname@example.org: ext. 2206
- Message from Superintendent Jeffrey Burt: In preparation of the winter season: Click here for letter.
- Dear Parent/Caregiver: Is your child protected by health insurance? If not, your school and the State of Connecticut want to help. Connecticut’s HUSKY Health program, for example, pays for doctor visits (including physical exams), prescriptions, emergency care, vision and dental care, mental healthcare, special healthcare needs and more. Open Enrollment period (November 1, 2019 - December 15, 2019) to get healthcare coverage through Access Health CT. Click here for flyer with details.
- Waterford Country School Foster Care: Be a part of someone's childhood memories. Click here for flyer with details.
- Blanket Drive: Bacon students Emory Francis and Amy Collins are holding a Blanket Drive as part of their Civic Action Portfolio from OCTOBER 28 - DECEMBER 20. HELP US KEEP THE LESS FORTUNATE WARM THIS WINTER! Blankets of all sizes are needed, along with gently used and new. All donations are going to the New London Homeless Hospitality Center and Covenant Shelter of New London. Click here for flyer.
- Bacon Academy Student Organizes Holiday Food Drive: Bacon Academy senior Jamie Lombardi is running a non perishable holiday canned/boxed food drive from November 4th-30th to benefit the Colchester Food Bank. Focus is on Thanksgiving and Holiday meal items, but all donations are appreciated!! “Food drive” boxes will be placed in each of the schools so everyone in the community can help! If you have any questions or comments please feel free to email: email@example.com
- November Programs for attached here for Children at Cragin Memorial Library
- November Programs for attached here for Teens at Cragin Memorial Library
- 11/10/19: ARTOPIA Arts Festival in East Hampton November 10th from 1pm-4pm: Epoch Arts will be showcasing student artwork from neighboring towns. Click here for flyer with details.
- 11/23/19: Colchester Senior Center Holiday Open House: Saturday, November 23 from 9am-1pm. Click here for flyer.
- 12/5/19: CASTLE is hosting a Winter Wonderland event Thursday, December 5th from 6pm-7pm. Click here for event details.
- 12/7/19: Save the Date! Sleigh Bells Fair at Bacon Academy from 9am-3pm: A perfect shopping opportunity with unique items. There will be over 65 vendors, along with food,and fun!!! Booth fees generate funds supporting the BA Art Department!!!
- 12/7/19: Holiday Homecoming! Saturday, December 7, 2019 at 4:30pm on the Colchester Town Green. Click here for details.
- UCFS Fall News: Click here for flier with details.
- Smarter Appliance has teamed up with Project Grad for a fundraiser! A portion of purchases made at Smarter Appliance between NOW-Dec.31 will be donated to Project Grad. When making your next purchase, make sure to bring the letter linked here: http://www.baconacademyprojectgrad.org/content/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Smarter-Appliance-flyer.pdf
- Colchester Youth Wrestling Sign-ups: Please visit https://www.colchesterwildcats.org/ to sign up. The 2019 Season will begin at JJIS on Nov 19th at 6pm for all boys and girls 1st through 8th grade from Colchester and surrounding towns.
Last Digital Backpack