BA 611 Norwich Avenue, Colchester CT 06415 Telephone: (860) 537-2378
March 15, 2019
- Monday, March 18th is an A DAY
- Friday, March 22 is FLEX
- Principal Peel's Twitter Feed: If you don't have a Twitter account just click here to view Principal Peel's Tweets!
- CAP AND GOWN: Measurements will be taken Wednesday, March 20th, during the lunch waves. Cost $21 for cap, gown and tassel. Cash or check payable to Bacon Academy.
- LIBRARY AFTER HOURS Friday, March 15, 2019, 6-9pm. Students are invited to celebrate your “more than just books” library! Join us for an evening of fun and food. Enjoy playing games, working on challenging puzzles, coloring, and more! Feast at our taco bar and chocolate fountain. Watch your email for an invitation. Please RSVP by Wednesday, March 13. Questions? Stop by the Library Media Center.
- The Bacon Academy Library Media Center will host a Scholastic Book Fair Tuesday, April 2nd through Thursday, April 4th. We will be open for shopping each day from 7:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. The library will earn a percentage of the sales towards the purchase of new library books, so please consider visiting us to shop. You can also support us by shopping online from March 27th to April 9th by visiting: http://www.scholastic.com/bf/baconacademyhighschool. This is a great opportunity to check out a great selection of books.
- Join the Bacon Academy Girl’s Lacrosse team for a special painting fundraiser for “Caring Hearts,” with local artist and teacher, Julianna Cameron. This event will be held Friday, March 22 from 7pm to 9pm at the WJJMS Art Room. There will be step-by-step instruction and fun for all ages! No prior experience needed. $25 per person. Please wear paint clothes or bring an apron. Pre-register at email@example.com
- Girls' Basketball Awards/Pizza Party: Thursday, March 28th at 6:30pm in the BA Cafe. Players are reminder to bring uniforms. Thank you.
- Bacon Academy Project Graduation - Our next meeting for this year is March 26, 7:00 p.m. at the BA Cafeteria
- Bacon Academy Project Graduation -NEW VIDEO ABOUT BA PROJECT GRAD: Not sure what we are all about - check out our video explaining why we work as hard as we do! http://www.baconacademyprojectgrad.org/?page_id=1314
- 10% Night at Fresca Tequila Bar & Grill on March 14 to benefit Project Grad Golf Tournament at Glastonbury Hills is in the planning stages for early May. If you are interested in helping on the planning committee, the first meeting is Monday, Feb. 25, 7:00 p.m. at the Hathaway Financial Group office, 68 Linwood Ave. above Café Mangia. Contact Melanie Hathaway.
- Foxwoods Bingo on Friday, March 29th to benefit Bacon Academy Project Graduation. Advance tickets only. $15 each for admission package of games. Doors open at 4. Games start at 6:30. Contact Kathy Gustavsen for tickets @ firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sports Pay to Play: Will be collected the week of April 1st through April 5th.The new form for Spring is attached here.
UPDATE FROM THE SCHOOL COUNSELING OFFICE
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Follow @BaconCounseling for timely department information!
COURSE SELECTIONS FOR THE 2019-20 SCHOOL WILL SOON BE UNDERWAY
On Monday, March 25th the portal will be opened for students to begin making their course requests and the student portal will close on Friday, April 12th right before April break. Here is the Program of Studies for you to review when choosing classes for next year.
Military Academy Night The Connecticut Congressional Delegation will be holding their annual Academy Night for students and recent graduates who are interested in attending one of the nation’s preeminent military academies – U.S. Air Force Academy, U.S. Coast Guard Academy, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, U.S. Military Academy at West Point, and the U.S. Naval Academy. This is a great opportunity for students to meet with representatives and cadets/midshipmen from each of the academies. Academy Night is on Wednesday, April, 24, 2019. The doors will open at 4:30 PM. The program is scheduled to begin promptly at 5:00 PM at the MG Maurice Rose Armed Forces Reserve Center, 375 Smith Street, Middletown, CT.
KEEPING YOUR RESUME UPDATED It is important for all students to keep their resume in Naviance updated. The counseling department references student resumes for awards and opportunities that become available.
Release of Information for Scholarships: The School Counseling Office will be following the FERPA guidelines with regards to sending out information pertaining to requests for Scholarships. Students will need to fill out a scholarship request form for every scholarship they apply for. The counseling office will require (5) days to fulfill your request. It is your responsibility to watch deadline dates. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DxEN-NXBotBa_ZjPainR9rbfJUjsOasTfl4RegzMzaU/edit
COMMUNITY FOUNDATION OF EASTERN CONNECTICUT 2019 SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES (this has some great scholarships) Click HERE to see a list of scholarships that you might qualify for. Several of these scholarships are open to all 42 towns (including Colchester) in Eastern Connecticut. WATCH THE DEADLINES!
COLCHESTER LAND TRUST APPLICATION FOR SCHOLARSHIP - 2019 This scholarship is presented to a graduate of Bacon Academy who has expressed an interest in pursuing a bachelor’s degree or higher level of education in a field of science related to preservation of undeveloped land, natural resources or biological species and has demonstrated that interest through excellent academic performance and service to the community while attending Bacon Academy. This is a local scholarship AND WILL BE GIVEN TO A COLCHESTER STUDENT IF QUALIFIED The deadline is March 2nd. Click here for application.
- Letters of Recommendation (form attached): Select ALL SCHOOLS in Naviance when requesting a teacher letter of recommendation! If you have selected each school individually, delete those requests and re-enter ONE request for ALL SCHOOLS. Note, there IS a delay when you will receive notification that teachers have uploaded letters.
- Any Senior who has yet to work on college applications or needs some assistance from their school counselors should see their counselor for an appointment.
- Wondering what you should be doing? Here’s the Senior Planning Cheat Sheet:
- Wondering “who does what” in college planning? click here
FINANCIAL AID INFORMATION
Citizens Bank: Understanding Award Letters On April 5, 2019 from 7:30 am to 9:00 am there will be a representative from Citizens Bank to help you understand award letters that are given by to your child by the college/universities that they have been accepted to. This meeting will take place in the auditorium.
Essay Contest for Juniors and Seniors. New England Association of College Admissions Counseling is hosting an essay contest. Follow this link for more information. Deadline is April 5, 2019.
SAT and ACT: Please visit here for all SAT and ACT test dates.
SCHOOL COUNSELING DEPARTMENT
- Budget Public Hearing Meeting: Tuesday, April 2, 2019 at 7:00pm at Town Hall Meeting Room.
- 2018-2019 School Year Calendar: Updated version here. (added: snow days/2-hour delays)
- Parents and Community Members: Colchester students in grades 6-12 recently completed a survey regarding substance abuse. In order to get a complete and accurate picture of our community needs, YouthFIRST, Colchester's Local Prevention Council, is looking to gather information from parents and community members in an effort to understand the role that adults play in the use of alcohol and other substances among adolescents, and the perception of adults regarding underage drinking and substance use. Please take a moment to complete this survey by March 22nd. Thank you so much for helping to make a difference in your community. Click on the link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ColchesterCommunity2019
- The BA Interact Club is hosting a book drive March 18th through March 29th. All genres of books will be accepting and will be donated to Reach Out to Read and other charitable organizations. Collections boxes will be located at BA and WJJMS offices, and in the lobby of CES and JJIS
- Colchester Soccer Club: is still seeking a 1st Grade Divisional Coordinator for the upcoming Fall 2019 soccer season. Role will begin this spring! Please contact Tim at email@example.com for more information. We are also seeking a Co-Director for our SoccerFest Travel tournament, and a volunteer to help on the SoccerFest Committee with Sponsorship requests. If interested, please contact Jenn at Jenn.Mahon@colchestersoccer.org.
- Parks and Rec: April vacation camps and list of programs and events attached here!
- People Empowering People (PEP)- Beginning March 20th- is a personal, family and leadership development program for parents. Please see the flyer here.
- Colchester Youth Services Programs and Events: Click here for April vacation trips!
- CASTLE is looking for input on your Childcare Needs in Town: Please see the attached 30 second questionnaire here. Thank you!
- Cub Scout Pack 109 Pancake Breakfast is Saturday, March 16th: Click here for details.