BA 611 Norwich Avenue, Colchester CT 06415 Telephone: (860) 537-2378
January 17, 2020
- No School: Monday, January 20, 2020 - Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Tuesday, January 21, 2020 is a B DAY
- Friday, January 24 is an EXAM DAY
- PJ & Prep: PJ's & Prep will be held on Thursday, January 23 from 5:30- 7:00 pm.
- Exam schedule attached: Friday, January 24, 2020 through Wednesday, January 29, 2020.
- Menu During Exams: Click here to view.
- The Bacon Academy Environmental Club is sponsoring a Flower Power fundraiser to earn funds to show the documentary "The Pollinators" on Earth Day, 2020. Please visit http://baenvclub.fpfundraising.com/ to learn more or make a purchase. 50% of the proceeds go to the club.
- From the School Counseling Department: For Juniors and their parents, pertinent information regarding score sends for the March SAT administration coming soon!
- Bacon Academy Senior Capstone Night: Tuesday, January 21 from 5:30pm-7:00pm in the Bacon Academy Library Media Center. Click here for details.
- Project Graduation's next meeting is Mon., FEB 10 at 7 pm in the Bacon Academy Cafeteria: We are working on keeping our kids safe and drug/alcohol free during the riskiest time of year for teens; graduation. We would love your ideas! This is a great time to check on your child's class balance. Yes, even the Class of 2023 has earned funds!
*UCONN basketball games are in full swing and we need your help! Games and sign ups can be found here: Caution-https://m.signupgenius.com/#!/showSignUp/60b0449aeab2da7fc1-uconn1
*Smarter Appliance has teamed up with Project Grad for a fundraiser: a portion of purchases made at Smarter Appliance on JAN 26 & 27 will be donated to Project Grad. No forms needed, and they are open an hour later on the 27th!
- Winter Sports Team and Individual Portraits to be taken on Jan 17th at 2:30pm Click here for flyer.
- Attention Senior Parents! Recognition Ads are here! Recognize your senior for all of their accomplishments by buying an ad for the yearbook! The deadline is February 1st and all ads must be completed online at https://bit.ly/2KC9dN3
- Bacon Athletics Registration is open for winter sports registration: Click here for instructions or to access the link in the Parent Portal link click here.
- Please donate socks for “Stars, Socks & Stripes”. Sophomore Sam Blumberger has partnered with the American Legion to collect new warm socks for Veterans. Collection boxes will be at Bacon Academy and Town Hall. Let’s help keep our Veterans warm this winter.
- Please visit our NEW School Counseling Tab on the website to view up to date information and a current list of State Scholarship offers that we receive: Visit Here
- Applications for the Summer 2020 Backus Hospital Junior Volunteer Bridge program are available on the hospital website. Applications will be received at the Backus Hospital main entrance information desk and the Volunteer and Guest Services Offices starting Saturday, February 1st through the close of business on Friday, February 7, 2020. All applications received during the stated time will be reviewed. Only complete applications will be considered. Up to 40 applicants may be invited to interview. Please contact Volunteer and Guest Services at 860-823-6320 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- The 28th Historically Black College Tour is April 13 - 18, 2020. School to be visited include: Howard Univ., Morgan State Univ., University of Maryland, Virginia State Univ., and Virginia Union Univ. Please visit http://www.hbca-nl.com/ to read more about this college tour. Please visit school counseling office to pick up application.
- Bacon Academy Girls Lacrosse Team Fundraiser: Thursday, January 30th from 4pm to close at the Inishmor. Ten percent of the evening’s sales will benefit the team (take out or dine in!)
UPDATE FROM THE SCHOOL COUNSELING OFFICE
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER Follow @BaconCounseling for timely department information!
The Black Engineering Council (BEC) of Electric Boat is giving up to $5000 in scholarship money to students in New London County, minimum GPA 2.5 and is African American/Black. Applications are in the guidance office. Due date is March 6, 2020.
Here is a link to some scholarship opportunities offered by the CollegeBoard https://opportunity.collegeboard.org/parents-educators?SFMC_cid=EM151770-&rid=47597748
TESTING: Because Juniors have a lot of testing in the Spring, it’s best to plan out what you can. All Juniors will take the School Day SAT on March 25, 2019. There is no essay component for this test. Check to see if colleges of interest require the ACT or SAT Subject Tests. AP Testing is April 30, 2020 through May 15, 2020.. Here is the AP testing calendar: https://apstudent.collegeboard.org/takingtheexam/ap-calendar.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR SENIORS
Release of Information for Scholarships: The School Counseling Office will be following the FERPA guidelines with regards to sending out information pertaining to requests for Scholarships. Students will need to fill out a scholarship request form for every scholarship they apply for. The counseling office will require (5) days to fulfill your request. It is your responsibility to watch deadline dates.
KEEPING YOUR RESUME UPDATED It is important for all students to keep their resume in Naviance updated. The counseling department references student resumes for awards and opportunities that become available.
Letters of Recommendation: Select ALL SCHOOLS in Naviance when requesting a teacher letter of recommendation! If you have selected each school individually, delete those requests and re-enter ONE request for ALL SCHOOLS. Note, there IS a delay when you will receive notification that teachers have uploaded letters.
Wondering what you should be doing? Here’s the Senior Planning Cheat Sheet:
Wondering “who does what” in college planning? click here
NEW DATES!! SAT and ACT: Please visit here for all SAT and ACT test dates:
DUAL ENROLLMENT INFORMATION: Please visit our link to view our partnerships and current dual enrollment classes offered.
SCHOOL COUNSELING DEPARTMENT
- Melanie Wehrenberg email@example.com ; ext. 2210
- Sharon Gagne firstname.lastname@example.org ; ext. 2207
- Ronald Sefchik email@example.com ; ext. 2212
- Ashley Zaugg firstname.lastname@example.org ; ext. 2211
- Jasmine Morton email@example.com; ext. 2208
- Donna DesSureault, Guidance Office Professional, firstname.lastname@example.org ; ext. 2205
- Marlene Blumberger, Guidance Office Professional, email@example.com: ext. 2206
- Updated School Calendar - Marking Periods/Grade dates updated here.
- Colchester Public Schools Adopts Board of Education Meeting Management Technology: Colchester Public Schools has implemented an online Board of Education meeting management tool called BoardDocs. Click here for details.
- Last Day of School (if no more snow/emergency closings) for the 2019-2020 school year is Monday, June 15, 2020 due to the 12/17/19 snow day.
- Community Conversations Thursday, 1/29 at 6pm: Screenagers: The Next Chapter Extra credit may be available for youth who attend ACCOMPANIED BY a parent/guardian from participating teachers. Click here for flyer.
- Colchester is Kind's 2020 kindness contest happening during Random Acts of Kindness week in Feb! Would love for you to share this in your schools. It's open to all ages and there are three prizes! The objective is for participants to complete as many acts of kindness as they can during the week. The flyer is attached here and here's the web link: https://colchesteriskind.com/2020/01/07/2020-colchester-kindness-ninja-contest/
- My Someone Special and Me Dance” is open to ALL girls K-12 in Colchester! Click here for flyer with details.
- Kids Programs at Cragin here!
- Teens Programs at Cragin here!
- Holidays getting you down? UCFS could help. Click here for flyer with details
- 2/7/20: SAVE THE DATE! Prom Night for students with special needs: Night to Shine sponsored by the Tim Tebow Foundation. Register early as space is limited! Register here: https://cthope.com/events Will be held at East Hampton Middle School. Click here for flyer with details.
- DIGITAL LEARNING DAY will be held February 27th, 2020! JJIS will sponsor the annual DIGITAL LEARNING DAY! This event is free and open to all! Bring your own device (pad, pod or internet ready device) and attend personalized learning opportunities! Click here for more details and to sign up!
- Coerver CT East Soccer: Click here for flyer with details of programs.
- Incoming (2020-2021) Kindergarten Story Time at the Colchester Elementary School: Click here for dates and details.
- Kindergarten Registration is NOW open for the CES 2020-2021. Click here for details.
- Smarter Appliance: has teamed up with Project Grad for a fundraiser: a portion of purchases made at Smarter Appliance on January 26 & 27 will be donated to Project Grad. No forms needed, and they are open an hour later on the 27th!
- Half Day Hooray- February 14th: Half-Day Hooray is a program designed for Colchester students in grades K through 5, presented by Colchester Recreation, Youth Services and Cragin Library. This program is held at CES for grades K-2 and at JJIS for grades 3-5. Our next session will take place on February 14th from 12:55pm to 4:00pm. Pick up will be between 4:00pm and 4:30pm. The fee per child is $20. Registration for the February session closes on Wednesday, February 5th. Forms can be brought to the school office, Colchester Recreation, Youth Services, or Cragin Library. Snack is included in the program. Half Day Hooray at CES will feature a performance by Jungle Jim and his Ballooniverse, CrossFit Kids, legos, crafts and games! JJIS students will engage in Team Building challenges with Empower Leadership Sports, jewelry making, cooking activities, and more! Be sure to sign up, spots are limited and you don’t want to miss out on this exciting program! Registration forms can be found online at www.colchesterct.gov
Last Digital Backpack