BA 611 Norwich Avenue, Colchester CT 06415 Telephone: (860) 537-2378
September 14, 2018
- Monday, September 17th is a B DAY.
- Friday, September 21st is an ADVISORY.
- From Our SRO: When picking up students after school please park in a marked parking space in the faculty lot. Although lining up in the rows may seem more convenient it creates serious traffic flow problems. Please be respectful of the people that have parked in the spaces and need to leave but cannot because they are being blocked in. In the very near future there will be “Visitor” parking spaces along the front row.
- BAND NEWS: Band information regarding instruments, performances, concerts, auditions and more. Please click here to read.
- Summer Reading Celebration: The celebration will take place in the LMC on Friday, September 21st during advisory. Any student that participated by reading one of the selected titles is invited to join us.
- Elections for the Class of 2022 are Friday, October 5th. Those students interested in running for Student Council or Class Officer can pick up an Election Form in Room 2121. Forms are due Friday, September 28th, by 2:30 pm.
- Bacon Academy Project Graduation works all year to raise money to keep our seniors safe and off the roads after graduation. You can help by volunteering: Volunteer at a UConn football game at Rentschler - no training needed and it is fun! Upcoming games are Sept. 29, Oct. 27, Nov. 10 & 24. Sign up at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0449aeab2da7fc1-bacon
- Parking Fundraiser at Celebrate Colchester - 57 Fest: Once again, Chanticlair golf course is donating its parking space to benefit Project Graduation. Come and help park cars for this easy fundraiser to help our seniors! We just need 3 hours of your time! Students can help too! Sign up here https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f054aafa629a4f58-celebrate
- Banned Books Week: The Media Center will be providing opportunities to celebrate intellectual freedom, respect for diversity of perspective, and the First Amendment. We will be hosting brief (20-30 minute) discussions on a title that has been challenged or banned in the United States. Study hall students are welcome! Conversations are scheduled for the last thirty minutes of a class period: Monday, 9/24 - periods 1 & 2, Tuesday, 9/25 - periods 5 & 6, Wednesday, 9/26 - periods 3 & 4, Thursday, 9/27 - periods 7 & 8. Visit the Media Center for more information. "Banned Books Week" https://bannedbooksweek.org/about/
- Bacon Academy Project Graduation's next meeting is Tuesday, September 25 at 7:00 p.m. at the BA cafeteria. Project Graduation is a non-profit organization whose mission is to provide drug and alcohol free events for graduating seniors to make their final months memorable and to keep them safe and off the roads. Don't know much about us? Please read your student's class welcome letter on our website. We have expanded our efforts to begin fundraising for each class starting with our freshmen to lessen the burden on senior parents over time. Click here to see your class' welcome letter. All classes - our biggest fundraiser is running concessions stands at Rentschler Field and Gampel Pavilion for UConn football and basketball. Sign up for our next game Sept. 15 or a future game. As a volunteer, you will raise money specifically for your student's class! Click here to sign up!
- Youth Action Council is seeking new members- apply today: Click here for flier.
- Yearbooks are now on sale for $65! Order now while the price is low because it will increase! If you personalize your yearbook with your name you will receive 4 free icons! Offer ends September 21st so order and personalize now to get your free icons! Yearbooks can be ordered at: http://jostensyearbooks.com/?REF=A01023400
- Pay to Play is now due. Please have your student athletes submit the Pay to Play form (attached) and payment of $180.00 to the front office to my attention. Checks are made payable to Town of Colchester. The payment is due by September 7th. Please email me with any questions, Mblumberger@colchesterct.org. Thank you, Marlene Blumberger, BA Pay to Play Coordinator
- Open Gym/Shoot Around for all Students: Starting September 19th at 6:15am. Click here for flier.
- BAND HANDBOOK: Please read important changes in grading, the yearly schedule and all about band in the attached handbook.
UPDATE FROM THE SCHOOL COUNSELING OFFICE
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Follow @BaconCounseling for timely department information!
The Bacon Academy College Consortium will be on Thursday, October 4th during the last block of school. We expect 75+ colleges to be in attendance. More info is forthcoming.
COLLEGE VISITS TO BACON ACADEMY
Look to see which college representatives are coming to our school: https://student.naviance.com/bacon - under “College Visits. Sign up in Naviance and get a pass from the Counseling office.
INTRODUCING “NAVIANCE STUDENT”
The website has changed: https://student.naviance.com/bacon
Bacon Academy has upgraded to Naviance Student for the 2018-19 school year. Naviance Student is the engaging replacement for Naviance Family Connection. It is easy to use, with familiar layouts and workflows. Naviance Student, just like Family Connection, is accessible to both students and parents. Your current usernames and password will give you access.
- The PSAT will be given in school to all Sophomores and registered Juniors on Wednesday, October 10, 2018.
- The October 6th SAT late fee registration deadline is September 21st. sat.org
- The October 27th ACT registration deadline is September 21st -late fee registration is October 5th. act.org
SCHOOL COUNSELING DEPARTMENT
- Board of Education Meeting: Tuesday, October 9, 2018 at the William J. Johnston Middle School at 7:00PM.
- Eagle Scout Fundraiser: Come support Dominic Prignano's Eagle Scout car wash fundraiser to be held on Saturday, September 22, from 10AM to 2PM at Advance Auto parking lot. All proceeds will go to building a new shed for St. Andrew's Church. If you are interested in participating please contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bands Needed for the Battle of Bands: Registration is open for the 57 Fest Battle of the Bands on September 22, 2018. Tell your young musicians to put their groups together and start practicing, Anyone 19 or younger. All details are on the site: http://57festbotb.com/
- 57 Fest: The 14th annual Celebrate Colchester-57 Fest is on Saturday, Sept. 22, 2018 1pm- 8:30pm. The rain date is Sunday, Sept. 23.
- Back to School: UCFS Behavioral Health Center information: Click here for flier.
- September Programs at Cragin Memorial Library: Click here for Children and here for teens.
- Anime Club Starts September 17th for grades 6-12 at Cragin Memorial Library. Click here for flier.
- Level UP Game Club: Starts Tuesdays, September 18 from 3:00-4:30pm. Flier attached here. here
- Local choir and orchestra seeks musicians of all ages: Colchester Choir and Orchestra invites current and past musicians to join us for any and all Thursday evening rehearsals at WJJMS beginning September 6. For more information and a rehearsal schedule, visit www. colchestercivicorchestra.org or email us at colchestercivicorchestra@ gmail.com.
- Colchester Youth & Social Services -Click here for upcoming events.
- SHARP Program for child/ren (ages 10 and older). Click here for details.
- Colchester Senior Center Ruby Jubilee 40th Anniversary Celebration on Sunday, September 16th at 1:30 p.m.-5:30 pm at A Villa Louisa in Bolton. Click here for flier.
- CASTLE: A nonprofit child care center is holding a special event on Saturday Sept 15th Click here for details.
Last Digital Backpack