BA 611 Norwich Avenue, Colchester CT 06415 Telephone: (860) 537-2378
March 16, 2018
- Monday, March 19th is B DAY.
- Friday, March 23rd is a FLEX DAY.
- Bacon Academy Honor Roll: Bacon Academy second quarter honor roll attached here. Congratulations students!
- Deadline for Spring Sports Registration 3/17/18: Register on Family ID: https://www.familyid.com/programs/spring-2017-18-athletic-registration
- SAT Testing: Wednesday March 21, 2018 Bacon Academy will administer the required School Day SAT test to all eleventh grade students. Juniors will be the only students testing on that day and a regular B-day schedule will be held for all freshmen, sophomores and seniors. All students should arrive on time for a regular 7:35 start and buses will run on a normal schedule for the day. Please see attached for schedule.
- Senior and Junior Parents: BA Project Grad is seeking volunteers for this Saturday, March 17th and Monday, March 19th up at Gampel. The money made now will definitely benefit the Junior Class' Project Grad if we have some junior parents step up to volunteer. Click this link for more information and to sign up: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080948a5a62ca7fe3-uconn24
- Yearbooks on Sale Now: 2017-2018 Bacon Academy yearbooks are on sale now at just $75 with a limited number of books left! Bacon Academy is being recognized with the National Program of Excellence Award for its yearbook this year. Get yours at www.jostensyearbook.com before they run out!
- LMC Book Fair: The Bacon Academy Library Media Center will host a Scholastic Book Fair April 2nd thru April 5th. We will be open for shopping from 7:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. Students are welcome to shop before and after school and during lunch. Students may also shop during their study hall by obtaining a pass. The library will earn a percentage of the sales towards the purchase of new library books. You can also support us by shopping online from March 28th through April 10th by visiting: http://bookfairs.scholastic.com/bookfairs/cptoolkit/homepage.do?method=homepage&url=baconacademyhighschool.This is a great opportunity to check out an amazing selection of books.
- LMC use during the book fair: The LMC will be closed to study hall students on Thursday, March 29th for periods 7 and 8 during book fair set-up. During the week of April 2nd, there is limited space in the LMC for study hall students and seniors. A limited number of passes will be given Monday throughThursday. The LMC computers will be available, as well as a small number of tables. Students are welcome to obtain a Quick Pass for book fair shopping, quick printing, and book check-out.
- Senior Scholarship Booklets: The local scholarship booklets were distributed last week during Advisory. If you haven’t yet received it, go pick it up from your advisory teacher. Please pay careful attention to deadlines for each scholarship. Most - but not all - are due in Guidance no later than March 21st. Read each criteria completely to make sure you meet the requirements of the scholarship. On May 30th, we will host an invitation-only Senior Night, which is a combination of class awards and scholarships. All applications are in Naviance (https://connection.naviance.com/bacon). Click on “Colleges” and scroll down to “Scholarship List” -browse by “Local Scholarships.” Each scholarship has a separate application to print and fill out. Please neatly handwrite or type. Proofread your essays. For the entire scholarship booklet, please click here.
- Seniors: Prom tickets will be on sale April 2- 12. All class dues and school obligations must be paid before prom tickets can be bought. Cost $75. The prom is Saturday May 5 5:30 -10:30 pm at Mashantucket Pequot Museum at Foxwoods Resort. If bringing an out of town guest proper paper work must be filed with the school.
- Junior Prom: Stay tuned for information regarding the Junior prom, which is scheduled for Saturday, Mary 19th.
- Senior Trip: is Friday June 1 to Block Island. More info to follow.
- Band Concerts at Bacon Academy-March 22nd: On March 22nd at 7pm the BA Band will perform with the WJJMS band. No charge for the concerts and all are welcome!
- Girls Basketball Awards Banquet/Pizza Party: Monday, March 26th at 6:30pm in the Bacon Academy Cafeteria. Remember to bring your uniform.
- Choral Concerts at Bacon Academy: The Bacon Chorus and the WJ Chamber Choir Concert will perform on Tuesday, March 27, 2018.
- Bacon Academy Drama Club will present the play “Robin Hood”! April 6th at 7pm and April 7th at 2pm and 7pm. Tickets are sold at the door, $5 for students and $10 for adults, children 4 and under are free. Special matinee performance April 7th 2pm: All tickets are $5 and a special photo opportunity with cast members after the show. Click here for details.
- Bacon Girls Lacrosse: Paint night fundraiser with local artist Julianna Cameron on Friday, March 16th 7-9pm at the Colchester Federated Church. $25 per person. No painting experience necessary. Seating limited, please pre-register by contacting Cathy Marvin @ firstname.lastname@example.org or call 860-652-5049. Click here for details.
- Project Grad/SENIOR DVD: We need seniors to submit a KG and senior picture for the Senior DVD. Please send to email@example.com before March 31st.
- Project Grad Night: Click here for details of Project Grad trip.
- Parent Support Program for Children with Anxiety or Depression: Colchester Schools support program for parents of school-age children with anxiety or depression. Please view flier here for more information or contact Joshua Vinoski at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Youth Services Trips During April Vacation:Click here for details.
- State of Connecticut has put together resources to support Mastery-Based Learning. Many teachers in the English and World Language departments have implemented standards-based grading to support students mastering skills. You can find those resources here and a list of Frequently Asked Questions here.
- Bacon Athletics Calendar Link: Click here to view the CIAC sports calendar for the month
UPDATE FROM THE SCHOOL COUNSELING OFFICE
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER!
Follow @BaconCounseling for timely department information!
- CAP AND GOWN fittings were postponed and will now take place in the cafeteria during lunch waves on Wednesday, March 28th. Please have the $23 payment that day - cash or check payable to Bacon Academy. All seniors must be fitted for a gown that day! $23 includes cap, gown, and tassel. Extra tassels will be available for $5.
- Check your email every day for messages from colleges, and log in to your college portals to make sure all materials have been received.
- As you hear back from schools, you MUST update your acceptance status in Naviance! (It’s a graduation requirement.)
- Any Senior who has not begun post-secondary plans should look at community colleges. Classes DO fill, so early registration is advised:
UCONN Engineering Summer Program
Explore Engineering Program 2018! Sunday, June 17th, 2018 to Thursday, June 21st, 2018 & Sunday, June 24th, 2018 to Thursday, June 28th, 2018 This 5-day residential program on the Storrs campus offers you the opportunity to explore various fields of engineering at the University of Connecticut, such as: Biomedical Engineering Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering Civil Engineering Computer Engineering Computer Science & Engineering Electrical Engineering Environmental Engineering Management & Engineering for Manufacturing Materials Science & Engineering Mechanical Engineering Tell me more about this amazing experience! If you are a current 10th or 11th grader, the University of Connecticut invites you to challenge your math and science skills to incorporate them into hands-on experiments, exciting engineering concepts, and fun activities. The cost is only $700, which includes: Exposure to 12 different engineering programs On-campus housing and dining hall meals Instruction from full-time UConn faculty Access to state-of-the-art research areas, our Engineering Learning Center and its software The opportunity to participate in the Young Engineering Science Scholars (YESS) Program Scavenger hunt and "Paint the Rock" event Program t-shirt How can I apply? edoc.engr.uconn.edu/explore-engineering/Application Deadline: May 1st, 2018
THREE RIVERS COMMUNITY COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIPS
Three Rivers offers a wide variety of credit and non-credit degree programs. Choose from 49 majors, including Transfer Ticket Degree Programs to Connecticut State Universities, our highly regarded Technology Studies, Nursing, Criminal Justice, Engineering, Graphic Design, and much more. The College has transfer and articulation agreements with a wide array of colleges and universities to allow students a seamless transition into their four-year degree. Last year, TRCC awarded more than $400,000 in student scholarship aid. DUE 3/30/18. Applications can be found online at www.threerivers.edu/scholarships
School counselors scheduled these individual meetings to discuss future plans and prepare accordingly. Here are some highlights of what Juniors should be considering:
- Review this great Junior year guide at Commonapp.org: http://www.commonapp.org/11th-grade
- Take advantage of the long February weekend to visit campuses. Follow interesting schools on their social media and get on their mailing lists.
- The mandatory Connecticut “school day SAT” for Juniors on March 21st assesses Math and English only, not writing. For this reason, counselors recommend that all Juniors take an additional SAT with writing. School day SAT scores will likely take much longer to release, leaving students with little or no time to register for another spring SAT. Testing earlier will also allow for students to take advantage of free, personalized test preparation through Khan Academy khanacademy.org at the CollegeBoard. The registration deadline for the May 5th SAT is April 6th. Sat.org. An ACT is also advisable; the registration deadline for the June 9th ACT is May 4th Act.org.
- Attend the Hartford National College Fair at Hartford Convention Center, March 28-29, 2018 at CT Convention Center. https://www.nacacfairs.org/attend/national-college-fairs/hartford-college-fair/
For the list of the School Counseling Department Assignments click here.
Sharon Gagne, email@example.com
Andrea Merry, firstname.lastname@example.org
Ronald Sefchik, 9th Grade Transition Counselor email@example.com
Melanie Wehrenberg, firstname.lastname@example.org
Donna DesSureault, Guidance Office Professional, email@example.com
Amy Trinnaman, Guidance Office Professional, firstname.lastname@example.org
@BaconAcademy FOR SCHOOL COUNSELING DEPARTMENT UPDATES!
- Public Budget Forum Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 6:30pm at the Town Hall: Feedback from the public is welcome as the Board of Education and the Board of Finance shape the 2018-2019 Town and Education budgets.
- Colchester's School Resilience Program: Five percent of all school-age children miss school due to an anxiety-related disorder every day. Children who exhibit school refusal behaviors often do so to avoid or escape anxiety provoking situations. Click here for details.
- Community Wellness Fair- March 25th: Join CYSS and the Colchester Farmers Market on Sunday, March 25th from 10am -2pm at Colchester Elementary School, as they promote wellness in our community. Click here for flier.
- Narcan Training: A community Narcan training session will be available from 12-1pm at the Community wellness Fair at CES on Sunday, March 25th. Click here for flier.
- Clothing Drive for Students in Need at CES: Bacon Academy student Conor McCourt is collecting items for Colchester Elementary students in need at the Colchester Elementary School. Click here for details.
- Colchester Youth & Social Services: Upcoming programs and events: Click here to view
- April Vacation Programs at Cragin Library: For Kids Events click here and Teen Events click here.
- April Vacation Soccer Program at Conn College: Click here for details.
- Cragin’s National Library Week Programs: The celebration happens Monday April 9th thru Saturday April 14th. This year makes the 60th anniversary of the first event, sponsored in 1958. Click here for Cragin’s programs.
- TVCCA Early Head Start and Head Start programs are federally funded comprehensive child development programs which serve children from birth to five, pregnant women, and their families. Click here for details.
- Are you interested in opening your heart and home to a child in need? Did you know there are over 4,500 children in foster care without a home? Please see the attached flier and find out how you can help!
- Colchester Behavioral Health Center: Offering individual and group counseling to adults, children and families. For more information please call 860-537-7676. Click here for flier.
- Talent Show at the Colchester Federated Church: Come for a night of fun, food, and a fabulous show! Saturday, March 24th from 7-8pm. Food Concessions available and an auction as well.
- Parks&Rec Summer UK Soccer Programs: For soccer program click here:
- Eastern CT Summer Program: Click here for details.
Last Digital Backpack