BA 611 Norwich Avenue, Colchester CT 06415 Telephone: (860) 537-2378
January 18, 2018
- Monday, January 21st is NO SCHOOL.
- Tuesday, January 22nd is an A DAY.
- Friday, January 25th is a FLEX DAY.
- ATTN: PARENTS of Seniors! Parent ads are here! Congratulate your student’s success with a personalized message from you. Click on the link here: https://bit.ly/2VSCuqQ
- If you haven't yet paid Freshman Class Dues please submit: Please turn in form and dues next week. Checks can be made payable to Bacon Academy. Please include your student’s name and attached form. We use these dues to provide a deposit for our class Jr. Prom (there is a discount on prom tickets when they are Jr.'s if yearly class dues are paid) as well as provide any extras that are needed for our class activities. Thank you.
- Winter Sports Pay to Play forms and fees are past due: If the payment and forms are not turned in this results in the student athletes being ineligible to play in practices and games as well as becoming an obligation. If the family maximum has been met of $540 per school year, a form still must be turned in. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Marlene Blumberger at email@example.com
- Sports: Registration for Spring 2018-19 Athletic Registration opens on January 15, 2019 10:00: https://www.familyid.com/programs/spring-2018-19-athletic-registration-2
- RHAM Evening of Jazz AT Bacon Jazz Night Thursday, January 24th 7pm - Bacon Academy Auditorium: For the second straight year, RHAM and Region 8 are combining their annual highlight performances of jazz choirs and jazz bands. Featured on the program are the Middle School Bands from RHAM MS and William J Johnston Middle School, RHAM's 'Encore' Choir and the Bacon Chamber Choir, and the RHAM and Bacon Jazz Bands.
- Bacon Academy Project Graduation - Welcome to 2019! Our first meeting for this year is January 29, 7:00 p.m. at the BA Café when we will update senior parents on the status of their fund and begin party planning. Now is the time to volunteer at our Gampel Pavilion concession stand for UConn basketball. Enjoy some quality time with your student (16 and older can volunteer) while raising money for your student's Project Graduation fund! Here are our upcoming games: Saturday 1/19 (5:00 p.m.), Wednesday 1/23 (4:30 p.m.), and Saturday 1/26 (3:30 p.m.). No training necessary - our concession stand and dairy bar are easy to run and lots of fun to do! Sign up here: https://m.signupgenius.com/#!/showSignUp/60b0449aeab2da7fc1-uconn1
- Bacon Academy Project Graduation - Welcome to 2019! Our first meeting for this year is January 29, 7:00 p.m. at the BA Café when we will update senior parents on the status of their fund and begin party planning. Now is the time to volunteer at our Gampel Pavilion concession stand for UConn basketball. Enjoy some quality time with your student (16 and older can volunteer) while raising money for your student's Project Graduation fund!
- UConn Basketball: Here are our upcoming games: Saturday 1/19 (5:00 p.m.), Wednesday 1/23 (4:30 p.m.), and Saturday 1/26 (3:30 p.m.). No training necessary - our concession stand and dairy bar are easy to run and lots of fun to do! Sign up here: https://m.signupgenius.com/#!/showSignUp/60b0449aeab2da7fc1-uconn1
- Class of 2019 Project Graduation Fundraiser: Consider gifts from 31 Bags throughout the school year - portion of sales will go directly to support the Class of 2019. Click here to learn more: http://www.baconacademyprojectgrad.org/?page_id=106
- Project Graduation Trivia Night Join us Sat. Feb 9, 7:00 p.m., at the Polish Club for a fun-filled evening that also supports our graduates! $20 per ticket. Cash and raffle prizes for this fun filled night! Click here for more information [attach flyer here], tickets can also be purchased on our website: http://www.baconacademyprojectgrad.org/?page_id=106
- Bacon Academy will be participating in the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) on Tuesday, February 5, 2019. Parents, if your senior has been chosen to participate, please see the attached letter for important information regarding scheduling.
- Poetry Outloud:Wednesday January 23rd from 6-8 pm in the cafeteria. This free event features a competition between 10 Bacon Academy students who have to recite 2 published poems each in front of a panel of judges.
- Save the Date Feb. 9 Trivia Night at the Polish Club to support Project Graduation: Join us Sat. Feb 9, 7:00 p.m., at the Polish Club for a fun-filled evening that also supports our graduates! $20 per ticket, more information here!
- Snow Tubing at Powder Ridge - February 19th, 2019: Join Youth Services for two hours of Snow Tubing Fun, followed by lunch at Five Guys! Pick-up and drop-off will be at the YOUTH CENTER. This trip will run from 10am-3pm, Open Youth Center is available for drop-off at 9am before the trip and also available for pick up until 4pm (optional). In case of bad weather, there is a back-up trip. $39 registration fee, open to grades 6-12. Register online at www.colchesterct.gov/youth. Sky’s The Limit!– March 8th, 2019: Join Youth Services for 1.5 hours of jumping at Launch Trampoline Park in Hartford followed by a buffet lunch and a $20 Power Card for the arcade at Dave and Buster’s in Manchester. This program runs from 9am-4pm, pick up and drop off will be at the Town Hall. $48 registration fee, open to grades 6-12. Register online at www.colchesterct.gov/youth.
UPDATE FROM THE SCHOOL COUNSELING OFFICE
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Follow @BaconCounseling for timely department information!
IMPORTANT JUNIOR INFORMATION School Counselors are getting ready to schedule Post-Secondary planning meetings with Juniors and their parent/guardian. Letters with date and times will be mailed home in a few weeks. A survey was emailed to all parent/guardians on January 17th to help counselors assist you in questions you might have at the meeting. If you did not receive the link, please take a few minutes and complete it here.
REGISTRATION FOR AP TESTING is underway. Teachers have been giving out forms that need to filled out and returned to Ms. Gagne in the School Counseling office no later than 2/8/19. Contact the School Counseling office with any questions. Click here to access the AP® Registration form. Payment is due by February 8, 2019.
HISTORICALLY BLACK COLLEGE ALUMNI: is sponsoring the 27th annual Historically Black College Tour. Juniors and Sophomores are invited to apply. The trip will run from April 14 to April 19, 2019. Colleges that will be visited are Howard University, Morgan State University, NC A&T State University, Winston Salem State University, University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill). The cost of the trip is $325 . Applications are in the guidance office.
Connecticut Student Writers contest! Deadline January 25, 2019! Annually, over 1,500 students from across Connecticut submit entries vividly demonstrating their passion for the craft of writing. From this large pool of poetry, essays, stories, and drama, submissions in Poetry and Prose are chosen to be published or honored from each grade level. For submission guidelines for the 2019 Connecticut Student Writers, click here To access the submission form for the 2019 Connecticut Student Writers, click here
MILITARY REPRESENTATIVES The following military representatives will be visiting Bacon Academy: Marines 1/25/19@ 10:30am. If you wish to meet with a representative, you must get a pass from the guidance office.
ROTC INFORMATION: We will have a representative from the Marines visiting the guidance office on 1/30/2019 to share information on ROTC. He will be here at 10:30am.
UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT’S PRE-COLLEGE SUMMER COURSES for students in grade 11 and 12 go to https://precollege-summer.uconn.edu/eligibility/ for more information
FINANCIAL AID INFORMATION
- Citizens Bank: Understanding Award Letters On April 5, 2019 from 7:30 am to 9:00 am there will be a representative from Citizens Bank to help you understand award letters that are given by to your child by the college/universities that they have been accepted to. This meeting will take place in the auditorium.
- Release of Information for Scholarships: The School Counseling Office will be following the FERPA guidelines with regards to sending out information pertaining to requests for Scholarships. Students will need to fill out a scholarship request form for every scholarship they apply for. The counseling office will require (5) days to fulfill your request. It is your responsibility to watch deadline dates. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oE4dBRVTUBApnBw0jsBbr7imBPDR5B3DqhDLbJiZri0/edit?usp=sharing
- Scholarships are coming in every day! Look for them in Naviance, the Power School Daily Announcements, and on the School Counseling Twitter: @BaconCounseling.
- Major scholarship sites: Naviance: connection.naviance.com, fastweb.com, scholarships.com, collegeboard.org, wiredscholar.com, salliemae.com.
- Big Y is giving out 300 Scholarships for merit and achievement!! click for application Deadline is Feb. 1, 2019. https://bigyscholarship.awardspring.com/
- Connecticut Nurserymen’s Foundation, Inc. will be awarding three scholarships this year to students who are going into the field of Horticultural Industry. For more information regarding these scholarships. click for application . Deadline is March 4, 2019
- Construction Career Scholarships Available. Applicants must be Connecticut residents enrolled in, or graduating high school seniors applying for and planning to enter, a four-year building and construction technology or civil engineering program, or entering a two-year technical school with a construction course of study, with the intent of entering a four-year accredited college upon completion of the technical school. Applicants must desire a career in construction. Applications must be submitted on-line and will be accepted until February 28, 2019. Please forward the following link to the on-line application to any interested students. click here
- The 2019 EWIB-Pitre STEM Leadership Scholarship is now available. This scholarship is for college-bound Eastern CT high school seniors who will pursue a course of study in a STEM field. Up to three (3) $1,000 scholarships will be awarded to qualifying students annually. Must be received no later than 4:00 pm on April 12, 2019. click here for application.
- COLCHESTER LAND TRUST APPLICATION FOR SCHOLARSHIP - 2019 This scholarship is presented to a graduate of Bacon Academy who has expressed an interest in pursuing a bachelor’s degree or higher level of education in a field of science related to preservation of undeveloped land, natural resources or biological species and has demonstrated that interest through excellent academic performance and service to the community while attending Bacon Academy. This is a local scholarship AND WILL BE GIVEN TO A COLCHESTER STUDENT IF QUALIFIED The deadline is March 2nd. click here for application
- MEGGIE DAWN MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP If you are pursuing a career in education, social sciences, or therapy services--you qualify to apply for this scholarship. Applications are available in the guidance office. Deadline is May 1st.
SAT and ACT: Please visit here for all SAT and ACT test dates: www.colchesterct.org/uploaded/Bacon/Guidance/Copy_of_2018-19_SAT_2FACT_TESTING_DATES.pdf
SCHOOL COUNSELING DEPARTMENT
- Meet & Greet: Please join our new Director Kathy Perry and Assistant Director Becky Lopes of Pupil Services and Special Education for an informal meet and greet on Monday, February 11, 2019 from 5:30-6:30pm at the Pupil Services Office (near the night entrance at JJIS). Click here for flier.
- Breakfast at CES to meet the directors of the Special Education department on February 8th at 8:30am at CES. Click here for flier with details.
- Colchester Public Schools New Mission Statement:
~We create innovative thinkers for a dynamic world~
Board of Education Meeting: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at the WJJMS at 7:00pm.
- It is time for baseball and softball! The Colchester Baseball and Softball League is officially opening their 2019 Spring registration on January 19th. Leagues are forming for all levels of baseball and softball. Registration ends February 28th. Online registration only! Visit www.cbsl.org to register today!
- Colchester Public School January calendar of events here. Community welcome!
- Family Game Night Friday, January 25th 5:30-7:30 at the Town Hall: Click here for details.
- Paint Night to Fight Hunger at WJJMS: Wednesday, January 30th 6pm-8pm. Click here for details.
- Colchester Youth Services: Click here for list of programs and events.
- Teen Program at Cragin: Cereal Pancakes on Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 3:00pm.
- 9th Annual Freezin for a Reason: Starting on Friday, February 8th to Sunday, February 10th Officer Rob Suchecki, Fire Chief Walt Cox, Greg Cordova and Fred Brown are camping on the Town Green to raise money for the Colchester Fuel Bank. Come down to the Green to say hi and donate money for the Fuel Bank. Or donate online with Pay Pal using firstname.lastname@example.org/freezinforareason
- Girl Scouts of America- Dancing Under the Stars: February 16, 2019 from 6:30-8:30pm at the St. Andrew Parish Hall. Click here for ticket information and details.
- Colchester Soccer: Colchester Soccer Club's Annual Meeting is Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 6:00pm at Town Hall.
- Lacrosse: Are you interested in playing lacrosse? Click here for details. Colchester Youth Lacrosse Registration for the Spring 2019 season . Please click here for details. CYL Registrar at email@example.com.
Last Digital Backpack