BA 611 Norwich Avenue, Colchester CT 06415 Telephone: (860) 537-2378
May 24, 2019
- Monday, May 27th -NO School- Memorial Day
- Tuesday, May 28th is a B Day
- Friday, May 31st is a FLEX Day
- Senior Capstone Night is Tuesday, May 28th 5:30pm-6:30pm: Details here. Please bring a canned food item to donate for families without food. Please click here for details of this request. Thank you!
- Bacon Academy Annual Student Art Exhibit will be held on Wednesday, May 29, beginning at 5 pm, featuring the AP Studio Art Exhibits of Katelyn Hickey and Alexis Golias. The Art Show is held in conjunction with the Senior Awards which are at 6 pm. The artwork will remain up through the Thursday night Music Concert! Please come and enjoy!
- Choir Concert: May 30 at 7pm. Suggested entrance donation of $10 to help raise funds for the Disney Choir Trip next year.
- US History Inquiry Night: June 4th from 5pm-7pm in the Bacon Academy cafeteria.
- Band Concert: June 4 at 7pm
- Graduation Informational Packet: Click here to view.
- Graduation Walk: Details here.
- Bacon Academy will host a Celebratory Signing Day for all senior BA Athletes that are prospective student-athletes in college and have been accepted to an institution. All student athletes that plan on participating should see Mr. Burke. The signings will take place in the Gym Lobby at 8:15am on 6/5/18. Parents and Family members are welcome to attend and take photos. Parents and Family must enter through the front door and sign in.
- Library Books: End of year due date and summer check out: All library books must be returned to the LMC by May 29, 2019. Please see the LMC staff to make arrangements to pay for any lost or damaged items. Seniors must fulfill all obligations prior to graduation. Students wishing to check out a book for the summer should return all items and then request a summer check out.
Library Media Center end-of-year schedule:
- Tuesday, May 28th, closed periods 7 & 8, and after school
- Wednesday, May 29th, all library books are due
- Monday, June 3rd, quiet study & summer borrowing begins
Exam day hours:
- Friday, June 7th 6:45am – 2:30pm
- Monday, June 10th 6:45am – 2:30pm
- Tuesday, June 11th - 6:45am – 2:30pm
- Wednesday June 12th 6:45am – 12:30pm
- Thursday, June 13th 6:45am – 12:30pm
- Summer Reading Assignment: Bacon Academy invites you to participate in our fantastic summer reading program! Our teachers and staff have each chosen a favorite book to share. We are asking you to choose a book from any of the selected titles to read over the summer. When you return to school, you will participate in a celebration with snacks and an exciting book discussion with other students who have read the book. Click here to see the list of titles. The BA LMC and Cragin have limited number of the titles available for check-out. If we don't have it available, you may have to order it or try a library near by. Happy reading!
- RESCHEDULED: Bacon Academy Project Grad Golf Tournament at Glastonbury Hills is now Wednesday, May 29 due to the inclement weather on Monday: There is still time to sign up to golf, be a family or tee sponsor, or donate a raffle item (go to https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f054aafa629a4f58-may13golf). For event details, registration, sponsor and volunteer opportunities, and payment, please go to our website www.baconacademyprojectgrad.org.
- Bacon Academy Project Graduation has opportunities in June to raise money for your child's class at our UConn concession stands. For times and signup, go to https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0449aeab2da7fc1-soccer
- 1) Pratt & Whitney Stadium is hosting the new Hartford Athletics soccer team. We will be running our Chicken Fry Fry Stand on June 1, 8 and 29
- Project Graduation Class of 2020 Board Elections: Nominations and actual elections will take place during the organization’s next meeting on Tuesday, May 28. Board positions include President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, UConn and Marketing/Communications chair. Each position and its responsibilities will be reviewed. For more information, go to the organization’s website at www.baconacademyprojectgrad.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Class of 2019 Graduation Lawn signs are available for sale! Each sign costs $20 and can be personalized. Signs will be available at Bacon Academy in the lobby during the Senior Awards night May 29. You can also email@example.com to arrange a pickup. Sign proceeds benefit the Class of 2019 Project Graduation Fund.
UPDATE FROM THE SCHOOL COUNSELING OFFICE
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Follow @BaconCounseling for timely department information!
Are you attending Manchester Community College in the Fall? There is a $500 scholarship available. See attached information. Deadline is July 15, 2019.
Graduation Information: A letter was mailed home after May 1st. This letter contains all the information you will need to know regarding graduation. In the same envelope you will be receiving a packet from the grad night committee with pertinent information regarding grad night. Click here for packet.
Sign Up For C-HIT’s 2019 Camps At Quinnipiac University and the University of Connecticut The C-HIT Summer Multimedia Workshops provide select high school students with the opportunity to develop investigative reporting, video and digital journalism skills in a unique learning environment led by distinguished local and national journalists click here for more info. Join the CONNECTICUT HEALTH I-TEAM (C-HIT.ORG) at a week-long high school workshop at Quinnipiac University, July 8-12, or The University of Connecticut, July 15-18. APPLY HERE
IMPORTANT CHANGES TO AP FEE REGISTRATION AND COST OF EXAMS FOR 2019-20: The College Board has changed their policies for test registrations. Starting in the fall, students who are signed up to take AP classes will have to pay for exams in the fall. More information will be coming soon.
Release of Information for Scholarships: The School Counseling Office will be following the FERPA guidelines with regards to sending out information pertaining to requests for Scholarships. Students will need to fill out a scholarship request form for every scholarship they apply for. The counseling office will require (5) days to fulfill your request. It is your responsibility to watch deadline dates.
KEEPING YOUR RESUME UPDATED It is important for all students to keep their resume in Naviance updated. The counseling department references student resumes for awards and opportunities that become available.
- Graduation Informational Packet: Click here to view.
- Graduation Walk: Details here.
- Letters of Recommendation: Select ALL SCHOOLS in Naviance when requesting a teacher letter of recommendation! If you have selected each school individually, delete those requests and re-enter ONE request for ALL SCHOOLS. Note, there IS a delay when you will receive notification that teachers have uploaded letters.
- For a breakdown of student, parent, and counselor responsibilities in the senior planning process, click here.
- Wondering what you should be doing? Here’s the Senior Planning Cheat Sheet:
- Wondering “who does what” in college planning? click here
Scholarships are coming in every day! Look for them in Naviance, The PowerSchool Daily Announcements, and on the School Counseling Twitter: @BaconCounseling. Major scholarship sites: Naviance: connection.naviance.com, fastweb.com, scholarships.com, collegeboard.org, wiredscholar.com, salliemae.com
PRE-COLLEGE SUMMER PROGRAMS
Please visit School Counseling Office to see various program options being held at several universities. Also follow Twitter: @BaconCounseling.
SAT and ACT: Please visit here for all SAT and ACT test dates.
SCHOOL COUNSELING DEPARTMENT
- Board of Education Meeting: Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 7:00pm at William J. Johnston Middle School. Community welcome!
- Graduation for the Bacon Academy Class of 2019 and the Last Day of School is Thursday, June 13, 2019. Shortened day schedules for June 12th and June 13.
- Memorial Day Parade in Colchester is Sunday, May 26th at 12:30pm
- Bike Rodeo June 8th 10am-1pm at the Colchester Town Hall: Community Bike Rodeo sponsored by Pack 109. Please see the attached flyer.
- UCFS Healthcare Programs: Click here for view flyer with programs.
- Colchester Lions Carnival 2019: Wednesday, May 29th-through Saturday June 1st. Discount ride vouchers for bracelets only are available now. Any questions please email ColchesterLionsCarvinal@gmail.com.
- Come join the Colchester Cougars for a fantastic season of football and cheerleading! Please see our flyer here to learn more about the program and registration information.
- Colchester Youth Services SUMMER Trips! We are ready for another fun-filled Summer here at Youth Services! The Summer trip calendar has been released and copies can be found in our office in the Town Hall, on Facebook, digital backpack, and our website (www.colchesterct.gov). Feel free to contact us with any questions at (860) 537-7255.
- Trivia Night and Silent Auction-CASTLE is hosting a Trivia Night and Silent Auction on Friday May 31st from 6-9 at the St Joseph’s Polish Club. What Trivia will be there to host all the fun and there have been many items donated by local businesses for our silent auction and raffles. It should be a great evening of fun! Please click here for ticket info.
- Celebrate Colchester! - 57 Fest: Click here for details.
- The Demarcus S. White Memorial dedication service will take place on Tuesday, June 4 at 5:00 p.m. at the Colchester Elementary School. The memorial was created and named for a kindergarten student who passed away in February 2018 as a result of complications from the flu. The library-based memorial, utilizing the talents of local artists, will both celebrate DeMarcus’ unique passions and spirit and provide needed resources for the school library. The event is open to the public.
- Raffle Tickets: Colchester Recreation will be selling raffle tickets to fund the largest annual event in Colchester- the “Celebrate Colchester-57 Fest”. We are hopeful that community members as well as businesses will help support this event by purchasing a raffle ticket. The raffle prizes cannot be beat: 1st prize is a $20,000 gift certificate toward the purchase of a vehicle. The winner of the raffle will be responsible for all taxes, title, registration and insurance.
- Food Festival/Corn Hole Tournament/Free Concert: Colchester Recreation will sponsor the annual Food Festival on the Town Green on Saturday, June 15th beginning at 12pm. We have also added a Corn Hole Tournament and a free concert!
- The Food Festival will feature food trucks with many different varieties and foods. Food Trucks such as Munchies, Uncle D’s, Classic Scoop, Cake Batter and Roll, Supreme Hot Dogs, Szabos Seafood, JR”s Lemonade, Oz –n- Bones and Greekin’ Out will be available.The free community concert will feature the “Leaf Jumpers”. To register, or for more information, please go to www.colchesterct.gov (to the Parks and Recreation page), or call the office at (860) 537-7297.