BA 611 Norwich Avenue, Colchester CT 06415 Telephone: (860) 537-2378
November 16, 2018
- Monday, November 19th is an A DAY.
- Wednesday, November 21 is a SHORTENED DAY.
- Thursday and Friday NO SCHOOL, THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY.
- Bacon Academy's annual Mr. Bacon show is next Tuesday, November 20th at 7pm in the auditorium. This show is family friendly and open to the public! This Bacon Academy tradition brings the best of the senior class (both male and female) out to compete for the title with talent and humor. Tickets are $5 for Bacon students and staff and $8 for the public. All proceeds go towards making the senior class trip and prom affordable for all students. Please come support our students and to have a great night out!
- Sleigh Bells Craft Fair at Bacon Academy 12/1/18: Saturday, December 1st from 9:00am to 3:00pm ...a perfect shopping opportunity with unique items. There are over 65 vendors ,food, and fun! The booth fees have generated funds that will be supporting our unified art and art department!
- Freshman Class Dues: Please turn in form and dues by December 1, 2018. Checks can be made payable to Bacon Academy. Please include your student’s name and the attached form.
- BA Cheer tryouts are postponed to Monday 11/19 - 3:30-5:30pm in the gym.
- Attention Senior Parents! Parent ads are here! Congratulate your student’s success with a personalized message from you. Prices vary depending on the sizes. Go to http://jostensadservice.com?REF=A01023400 to order your ad. Offer closes February 1st! Late submissions will not be accepted.
- Bacon Academy Project Graduation Fundraising Opportunities: Raise money for your student's class by volunteering at a UConn football or basketball game. Sign up genius links include the details: Last UConn football game at Rentschler Nov. 25. Sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0449aeab2da7fc1-bacon Next UConn basketball game Nov. 27. Sign up here: https://m.signupgenius.com/#!/showSignUp/60b0449aeab2da7fc1-uconn1
- Project Graduation needs bakers for our bake sale table at the Sleigh Bell Fair 12/1/2018. We fixed the incorrect link below! This is a fundraiser for the class of 2019. We need bakers to make 1-2 holiday treats. All items need to be individually wrapped for sale. This is a great opportunity for 2019 parents to participate in Project Grad fundraiser! Sign up now! https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f054aafa629a4f58-sleigh Don't forget to stop by on Dec. 1 to buy a Christmas wreath or holiday treats, all to benefit Project Graduation Class of 2019!
- Doing holiday shopping? You can shop for 31 Bags for the holidays and benefit the Class of 2019 Project Graduation fund. Click here to learn more: http://www.baconacademyprojectgrad.org/?page_id=106
- Bacon Academy Book Fair at Glastonbury Barnes and Noble: Sunday, December 2, 2018 from 9 am to 9 pm. Come shop at the event, mention Bacon Academy at the register and the library will earn a percentage of the sales. Staff and students will be there showcasing their talents. Volunteers Needed: The LMC is looking for volunteers to help with our annual book fair Come to the LMC and sign up for an hour or two! We are looking for greeters, gift wrappers, performers and students to run children's activities. The book fair is always a fun, exciting event. Don't miss your opportunity to join us!
- Powderpuff Football: Monday, November 19th at 6:30 pm Juniors vs. Seniors playing under the lights at the Recplex R8 (Cougar Field). Admission in $3.00 for students and $5.00 for adults. The concession stand will also be available for drinks and snacks.
- Community Conversations- Internet Safety/Social Media Awareness for parents and adult community members only. Please click here for flier and details here.
- Bacon Academy Winter Sports Pay to Play Information: Any student who plays a sport at Bacon Academy is required to submit a payment of $180 (checks made out to Town of Colchester, NOT Bacon Academy) and this form. Forms and fees will be collected December 3rd to the 7th. If the payment and forms are not received by this date, the student athletes will be ineligible to play in practices and games. If the family maximum has been met of $540 per school year, a form still must be turned in.
- BA Athletes Winter Sports Registration 2018-19: All athletes that are participating in winter sports must register online with Family ID link https://www.familyid.com/organizations/bacon-academy-athletic-department.
- Yearbooks are now on sale for $65! Yearbooks can be ordered at: http://jostensyearbooks.com/?REF=A01023400
- Dear Parent/Guardian: Is your child protected by health insurance? If not, Colchester Public Schools and the State of Connecticut want to help. Click here for details.
UPDATE FROM THE SCHOOL COUNSELING OFFICE
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Follow @BaconCounseling for timely department information!
Family and Consumer Science Course will be added to course selections for Semester 2. Students who wish to take Early Childhood, Middle Childhood or Teen Issues for Semester 2, MUST stop by the school counseling office and put their name on a sign up sheet. These courses will NOT run if we do not have enough participation!
Semper Fidelis All-American Program proudly presented by the United States marine Corps, the Semper Fidelis All-American Program recognized high school students who face life's battles with the conviction and determination to succeed. These students embody the same fighting spirit that Marines stand for by taking on the challenges of succeeding academically while bettering their communities and excelling in athletics and extracurricular activities. This program is open to members of the Junior class. One junior per state is chosen to participate. Here is the link if you are interested in applying to be a Semper Fidelis All-American student https://sfaap.marines.com/ Deadline to apply is December 31st.
Manchester Community College is hosting a FAFSA workshop on November 27th, a Tuesday evening, on campus where Financial Aid staff will be on hand to help families complete the 2019-20 FAFSA. The event is free and open to the public. The attached brochure, lists documents that would be required in completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Students are also encouraged to set things up ahead of time by creating an FSA ID, a login credential critical to the process. FSA ID’s can be created and managed here: https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/index.htm
FREE TEST PREP WITH KHAN ACADEMY (VIA COLLEGE BOARD) All Sophomores and Juniors who took the PSAT in school on 10/10 are encouraged to link PSAT scores into their Khan Academy accounts. ALL students created College Board and Khan Academy accounts last year- be sure to not create a second account! And, never use Colchester gmails to create accounts, they are not set up to receive outside emails. https://www.khanacademy.org/
- The AXA Achievementsm Scholarship offers college scholarships of $2,500, $10,000 and $25,000 to high school seniors who have demonstrated outstanding achievement in their activities in school, the community or the workplace. Each scholarship winner is ethnically and economically diverse, but they share these qualities: ambition and drive; determination to set and reach goals; respect for self, family and community; ability to succeed in college. The scholarship is sponsored by the AXA Foundation, the philanthropic arm of AXA US. Applications must be submitted before December 14, 2018, whichever comes first. Applications MUST be one of the first 10,000 completed and submitted electronically by the deadline date. Apply early!
- Three Rivers High School Partnership Program ScholarshipAny Junior or Senior interested in taking a FREE college course at Three Rivers Community College next semester should go to the Bacon Academy School Counseling Department for an application. Up to 50 will be awarded! Students will attend TRCC and be funded for one college course per semester on a space available basis. These FREE courses earn both High School and College Credit. Special fees, such as course lab fees and art studio fees, books/supplies, and transportation are the students’ responsibility. All classes are on the Three Rivers Campus, and start on January 24, 2019. Please See Mr. Sefchik or your guidance counselor for more details, or to pick up an application.
Applications are available now and are due before the Holiday break, please bring them to the Bacon Academy Guidance Office.
FINANCIAL AID INFORMATION
- Please visit here for all SAT and ACT test dates:
SCHOOL COUNSELING DEPARTMENT
- Board of Education Meeting: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 at the William J. Johnston Middle School at 7:00PM.
- Bacon Academy Powderpuff Football: Monday, November 19th at 6:30 pm Juniors vs. Seniors playing under the lights at the Recplex R8 (Cougar Field). Admission in $3.00 for students and $5.00 for adults. The concession stand will also be available for drinks and snacks.
- Holiday Homecoming 12/1/18: Colchester Parks and Rec: 2018 Holiday Homecoming is Saturday, December 1, 2018 at 4:30 p.m. all community members are invited to the Town Green as Colchester welcomes the holiday season with our Annual Holiday Homecoming Celebration. Click here for details.
- Concert -Holiday Homecoming Concert Saturday, December 1, 6:30 p.m. Colchester Civic Orchestra & Choir invites you to attend our special annual holiday concert at the Colchester Federated Church immediately following the tree-lighting festivities on the Town Green. Come in to warm up and hear music of the season performed by a live orchestra and choir. Listen to a special Hanukkah presentation, sing a medley of Christmas carols with us, and make the rafters resound at the end with Handel's Hallelujah Chorus. All are invited to a reception with holiday treats following the concert. Admission is free; donations gratefully accepted.
- Bacon Academy Book Fair: Save the date! The Bacon Academy Library will be hosting a book fair at the Glastonbury Barnes and Noble on Sunday December 2, 2018 from 9 am to 9 pm. Come shop at the event, mention Bacon Academy at the register and the library will earn a percentage of the sales. Staff and students will be there showcasing their talents. We are looking forward to another great event!
- Sleigh Bells Craft Fair at Bacon Academy 12/1/18: Saturday, DECEMBER 1st from 9:00am to 3:00pm ...a perfect shopping opportunity with unique items. There are over 65 vendors ,food, and fun! The booth fees have generated funds that will be supporting our unified art and art department!
- Stop & Shop A+ Rewards: Our CPS ID# for Stop & Shop A+ Rewards in 05879! Register your card if you have not done so in previous years and earn points for our schools. Click here for the letter and information.
Last Digital Backpack