BA 611 Norwich Avenue, Colchester, CT 06415 Telephone: (860) 537-2378
April 13, 2018
- SPRING BREAK IS APRIL 16th - APRIL 20th.
- Monday, April 23 is an A DAY.
- Friday, April 27 is a FLEX DAY
- Congratulations to our Bacon Academy Educators that were announced - Fund for Teacher Fellows! Kristie Blanchard, Elizabeth Simison, Peggy Smigel, Christine Troup, David Williams. (Photo attached with Principal Peel standing in for Mr. Williams)
- Bacon Academy Paraeducator of the Year - Ms. Esmeralda Zurita! Congratulations! Photo here.
Bacon Academy Summer School registration forms will be available Monday, April 23rd in room 2115, guidance, and the main office. Please see Mr.Mal for any additional questions.
- Spring Sports Picture Day is April 24th. Please see attached.
The BA Young Dems Club and Colchester Democratic Women’s Club are co-sponsoring a clothing Drive. Boxes are found in each school as well as the Town Hall, Noels, & Stop & Shop. All types of new and gently used clothing is being collected and donated to various charities around the state. The clothing drive ends on April 13th.
- Senior Parents: Senior Handout about Grad Night. Please send in a kindergarten and a senior picture to email@example.com for the Senior DVD (if you haven't already) This is a gift from project Grad so we'd like every senior included. Deadline: April 30th.
- Seniors - You are invited to the Bacon Academy Project Graduation Party on the Night of Graduation June 2018. Please see attached.
- Senior Trip is Friday June 1 to Block Island. More info to follow.
- Dear Parents and Caregivers: Please see attached letter here.
- Class Officer forms are due Friday, May 18th, by 2:30 - Submit Forms to Rm 2121. Campaign season will run from Friday, May 18th to Friday June 8th. Debates will take place during assemblies on Friday, June 8th. Elections are during lunch on Friday, June 8th
- Star Search applications are due April 10th! All talents are welcome! See Ms. K if you have questions. Rehearsals will be held April 23rd and April 24th. The show will be Wednesday, April 25, 2018 at 6:30 PM.
- Clothing Drive: The BA Young Dems Club and Colchester Democratic Women’s Club are co-sponsoring a clothing Drive. Boxes are found in each school as well as the Town Hall, Noels, & Stop & Shop. All types of new and gently used clothing is being collected and donated to various charities around the state. The clothing drive ends on April 13th.
- Summer PE Registration:Begins on Monday, April 23rd. Next year’s Seniors will have priority the first week when registration begins, then Sophomores, followed by Freshmen. Registration will close Friday, June 1st. As always Summer PE is first come, first served. Summer School Registration forms for PE, Civics and credit recovery will available for students in room 2115, the office, as well as in guidance. If you have any questions please contact Mr. Mal (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Spring Pay to Play payments are due! Please print form (attached) send payment (make check payable to Town of Colchester for $180.00) and send in with your student athlete. Even if your family maximum has been met, a form still needs to be submitted to me. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact: email@example.com
- Seniors: Prom tickets will be on sale April 2-12. All class dues and school obligations must be paid before prom tickets can be bought. Cost $75. The prom is Saturday May 5th, 5:30 -10:30 pm at Mashantucket Pequot Museum at Foxwoods Resort. If bringing an out of town guest proper paper work must be filed with the school.
- Juniors: Prom tickets will be on sale April 23rd to April 27th. All class dues and school obligations must be paid before prom tickets can be bought. Cost $45 for juniors who paid class dues and $60 for everyone else. Prom is May 19th at G F Ballroom in Hartford. If bringing an out of town guest proper paper work (which can be found in the main office) must be filed with the school.
- State of Connecticut has put together resources to support Mastery-Based Learning Resources here and a list of Frequently Asked Questions here.
- Need Tux or suit for Prom? Come by Bacon Academy cafeteria on Monday, April 23rd from 5:30 - 7:30 PM and Sal from Modern Formals will take off $40 at that time.
- Flower Fundraiser - The Bacon Academy Environmental Club is holding a spring flower fundraiser to support the greenhouse. Click the following link to view the options of flower bulbs, seeds and other gardening accessories that will be delivered right to your doorstep in time for spring planting. http://www.flowerpowerfundraising.com/i/t/550215/uPLHNv2AINwW
- Dine out with Us to raise money for Project Grad - Thursday; April 26th after 4:00 PM at Inishmor. Please see attached flier.
- Bacon Academy Girls’ Lacrosse Fundraiser: Get your car ready for Spring! On Saturday, April 14th, the Bacon Girls’ Lacrosse team will be having a carwash at Advance Auto Parts, 179 Linwood Ave from 10am-2pm. Please come get a carwash and support the team! Just a $10.00 donation!
- Project Grad Fundraiser: Need a Car? Cardinal Foundation will donate $20 to Project Grad for each test drive from now until April 21st (or call 860-449-0411 to schedule an appointment) You must be 21+ in order to participate in the test drive. NO PRESSURE - just easy money! Please see flier attached.
- Football Camp Fundraiser: A local band, Johnny & the Xs, will be performing at the Polish Club on April 27th to benefit the Bacon Academy Summer Football Camp. Click here for more information..
- Bacon Academy Class of 2019 Pre-Project Grad BACON-WEAR fundraiser: Click here to view! Order Bacon Academy Gear now for incoming Freshman. Go to shop.fancloth.com/06415/346610 to see our custom gear or text FC346610 to 559.900.3222.
UPDATE FROM THE SCHOOL COUNSELING OFFICE
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER!
Follow @BaconCounseling for timely department information!
- The PowerSchool portal for 2018-19 course selections will close on Friday, April 13th at 12:00am.
- The last day of Quarter 3 is Friday, April 13th. Grades will be finalized on April 26th. Quarter 4 begins on April 23rd.
- Summer PE forms will be in the school counseling office on April 23rd.
- Underclassmen Awards Night is Thursday, May 17th, by invitation only.
- Senior Awards and Scholarship Night is Thursday, May 31st, by invitation only.
- Schedule college visits for the April break! Explore the SuperMatch feature in Naviance to get you started on identifying good college matches.
- Complete brag sheets and think about which teachers would write you a good letter of recommendation. Ask them in person and add those requests in Naviance.
- Graduation has been set for Friday, June 22nd at 6:00pm. A detailed letter will be mailed home to all seniors in the first week of May.
- The next mandatory meeting of the senior class is during Advisory on Friday, May 11th.
- All members of the Class of 2018 should sign up for Remind by texting @8e8376c to the number 81010. (Include the @ symbol in the text.) You will receive text reminders of upcoming dates and deadlines.
- Update the acceptance status in Naviance for every college - it’s a graduation requirement.
- The registration deadline for the June 2nd SAT is May 3rd. Sat.org.
- The registration deadline for the June 9th ACT is May 4th. Act.org
Have a great break!
~The Bacon Academy School Counseling Office
For the list of the School Counseling Department Assignments click here.
Sharon Gagne, firstname.lastname@example.org
Andrea Merry, email@example.com
Ronald Sefchik, 9th Grade Transition Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Melanie Wehrenberg, email@example.com
Donna DesSureault, Guidance Office Professional, firstname.lastname@example.org
Amy Trinnaman, Guidance Office Professional, email@example.com
- No School/April Recess Reminder: April 16th-20th
Congratulations to our Colchester Public School Educators that were announced on April 5, 2018 that they are Fund for Teacher Fellows! Bacon Academy: Kristie Blanchard, Elizabeth Simison, Peggy Smigel, Christine Troup, David Williams and CES Teachers: Lori Drube, Erin Hermann, Anne Lemke, Barbara Stiles
- Colchester Board of Education Meeting: Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at Bacon Academy in the Media Center at 7:00pm.
- Education Budget Information: Click on the link to view the Education Budget documents https://www.colchesterct.org/page.cfm?p=28
- Empty Bowls Night of the Arts, etc: Click here for the Empty Bowls Night of the Arts flier and all of the details! Soup, bread, handcrafted ceramic bowls, student art show, jazz band & choir performances, Digital Media exhibits, the Vendor Fair and the Scholastic Buy One/Get One book fair.
- Colchester Parks and Recreation CIT 4/24/18: Click here for details and
- Day Camp and Kinder Camp Open House April 27th: Click here for details.
- Football Camp Fundraiser: A local band, Johnny & the Xs, will be performing at the Polish Club on April 27th to benefit the Bacon Academy Summer Football Camp. Click here for more information.
- Colchester Soccer Club: Online registration for the Colchester Soccer Club fall season is now open. The fall season runs from mid-August through October. The deadline to register for Travel League Tryouts is May 4th. The Travel League is for players in the U9-U14 divisions. Tryouts will be held on Sunday, May 6th and Sunday, May 20th. The deadline for registration in the Recreation League is May 31st. Register on-time to avoid a $40 late fee. The Recreation League is open to players from PreK – 12th grade. Please visit colchestersoccer.org for additional information and registration.
- Spring Tag Sale-Bargains Galore! The Colchester Federated Church will hold a Spring Tag Sale Friday, April 27 from 3pm-7:00pm and Saturday April 28 from 9:00am-2pm in the church at 60 Main. Toys, home and garden, vintage items, name your own price room. Everything priced to sell. Inside – rain or shine. For more information call Avis Hull 860 537-2094 or 860 537-5189.
- CASTLE Programs: Click here for CASTLE program information.
- Parent Support Program for Children with Anxiety or Depression: Details here.
- For Parents of Children of All Ages – Click here for details.
- Colchester's School Resilience Program: Click here for details.
- Colchester Police Union Event: Will be held on Saturday, May 12th at 5pm at JJIS.
- Spring Clean-Up is now Saturday April 21st ! Click here for details.
- Calling all musicians!!! “Colchester Beats Hunger” is looking for performers to join in on a night of music to raise money for The Colchester Food Bank and “Food for the Poor” (Food for The Poor Supports People of 3rd World Countries). If you can sing or play an instrument then we need you! Registrations are due by April 25, 2018. Perform alone or grab some friends and come make an impact on the lives of others. Calling all non-musicians!! Come and listen to all the performers on May 5, 2018. Doors open at 4:45pm for pizza and the show begins at 5:30pm. Click here for a flyer with more details.
- 04-14-18: Fire Dept. Annual Fisherman & Family Breakfast:Click here for details.
- 04-14-18: BSA Venture Crew Fundraiser Breakfast: Click here for details.
- April Vacation Programs at Cragin Library: For Kids Events click here and Teen Events click here.
- TVCCA Early Head Start and Head Start programs: Click here for details.
Last week's Digital Backpack