BA 611 Norwich Avenue, Colchester, CT 06415 Telephone: (860) 537-2378
January 11, 2018
- Monday, January 14th is an B DAY
- Tuesday January 15th - January 18th Midterm exams. Schedule here.
- Parents, are you having trouble logging in to the Powerschool phone app? If so, then if you delete the app from your phone and reinstall it, that should resolve the issue. Powerschool ran an update recently, and they fixed the bug that was causing this issue late Tuesday night. If you are still having issues after doing that, or have forgotten your login information, please contact our main office for help.
- The LMC is open for students for quiet study from 6:45am - 2:30pm during exams, January 15th - 18th.
- Bacon Academy Senior Kellie Nudd became the seventh player in program history and 14th in school history to score 1,000 career points. "1000" points in basketball. Congratulations Kellie! Click here for photo.
- Bacon Academy will be participating in the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) on Tuesday, February 5, 2019. Parents, if your senior has been chosen to participate, please see the attached letter for important information regarding scheduling.
- Poetry Outloud: The Bacon Academy English department will be hosting the 6th annual Poetry Outloud Program on Wednesday January 23rd from 6-8 pm in the cafeteria. This free event features a competition between 10 Bacon Academy students who have to recite 2 published poems each in front of a panel of judges. The best performer goes on to compete at the state level in February. Come enjoy an evening of poetry and refreshments. The contestants are: Caitlin Bagdasarian, Christian Bevilaqua, Emily Cowan, Ethan Cuadro, Amber Deslaurier, Yianni Koutsofavas, Dylan Rosenthal, Sara Rosenthal, David Sardis, and Jessica Savage.
- Freshman Class Dues are past due: Please turn in form and dues next week. Checks can be made payable to Bacon Academy. Please include your student’s name and attached form. We use these dues to provide a deposit for our class Jr. Prom (there is a discount on prom tickets when they are Jr.'s if yearly class dues are paid) as well as provide any extras that are needed for our class activities. Thank you.
- Winter Sports Pay to Play forms and fees are past due: If the payment and forms are not turned in this results in the student athletes being ineligible to play in practices and games as well as becoming an obligation. If the family maximum has been met of $540 per school year, a form still must be turned in. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Marlene Blumberger at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bacon Academy Project Graduation - Welcome to 2019! Our first meeting for this year is January 29, 7:00 p.m. at the BA Cafe. Now is the time to volunteer at our Gampel Pavilion concession stand for UConn basketball. Enjoy some quality time with your student (16 and older can volunteer) while raising money for your student's Project Graduation fund! Here are our upcoming games: Sunday 1/13 (10:30 a.m.), Saturday 1/19 (5:00 p.m.), Wednesday 1/23 (4:30 p.m.), and Saturday 1/26 (3:30 p.m.). No training necessary - our concession stand and dairy bar are easy to run and lots of fun to do! Sign up here: https://m.signupgenius.com/#!/showSignUp/60b0449aeab2da7fc1-uconn1
- Class of 2019 Project Graduation Fundraiser: Consider gifts from 31 Bags throughout the school year - portion of sales will go directly to support the Class of 2019. Click here to learn more: http://www.baconacademyprojectgrad.org/?page_id=106
- Save the Date Feb. 9 Trivia Night at the Polish Club to support Project Graduation: Join us Sat. Feb 9, 7:00 p.m., at the Polish Club for a fun-filled evening that also supports our graduates! $20 per ticket, more information coming soon!
- The National Honor Society is conducting our annual "PJ's & Prep" is Monday, January 14.
- BA Girls Lacrosse Meeting 1/16/19 at 7:00pm in the Bacon Academy Cafeteria: Attendance is strongly encouraged for any girls interested in playing lacrosse this spring. Parents who are interested in getting involved with the Booster Club are urged to attend as well.
- Attention Senior Parents! Parent ads are here! Congratulate your student’s success with a personalized message from you. Click on the link here: https://bit.ly/2VSCuqQ
UPDATE FROM THE SCHOOL COUNSELING OFFICE
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Follow @BaconCounseling for timely department information!
AP®Exams will be administered from May 6, 2019-May 17, 2019. Click here to access the AP® Registration form. Payment is due by February 8, 2019.
HISTORICALLY BLACK COLLEGE ALUMNI: is sponsoring the 27th annual Historically Black College Tour. Juniors and Sophomores are invited to apply. The trip will run from April 14 to April 19, 2019. Colleges that will be visited are Howard University, Morgan State University, NC A&T State University, Winston Salem State University, University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill). The cost of the trip is $325 . Applications are in the guidance office.
FREE TEST PREP WITH KHAN ACADEMY (VIA COLLEGE BOARD)
School counselors are visiting English classes this week to go over PSAT scores: All Sophomores and Juniors who took the PSAT in school on 10/10 are encouraged to link PSAT scores into their Khan Academy accounts. ALL students created College Board and Khan Academy accounts last year- be sure to not create a second account! And, never use Colchester gmails to create accounts, they are not set up to receive outside emails. https://www.khanacademy.org/
Connecticut Student Writers contest! Deadline January 25, 2019! Annually, over 1,500 students from across Connecticut submit entries vividly demonstrating their passion for the craft of writing. From this large pool of poetry, essays, stories, and drama, submissions in Poetry and Prose are chosen to be published or honored from each grade level. For submission guidelines for the 2019 Connecticut Student Writers, click here To access the submission form for the 2019 Connecticut Student Writers, click here
ROTC INFORMATION: We will have a representative from the Marines visiting the guidance office on 1/30/2019 to share information on ROTC. He will be here at 10:30am.
UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT’S PRE-COLLEGE SUMMER COURSES for students in grade 11 and 12 go to https://precollege-summer.uconn.edu/eligibility/ for more information
FINANCIAL AID INFORMATION
- Citizens Bank: Understanding Award Letters On April 5, 2019 from 7:30 am to 9:00 am there will be a representative from Citizens Bank to help you understand award letters that are given by to your child by the college/universities that they have been accepted to. This meeting will take place in the auditorium.
- Release of Information for Scholarships: The School Counseling Office will be following the FERPA guidelines with regards to sending out information pertaining to requests for Scholarships. Students will need to fill out a scholarship request form for every scholarship they apply for. The counseling office will require (5) days to fulfill your request. It is your responsibility to watch deadline dates. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oE4dBRVTUBApnBw0jsBbr7imBPDR5B3DqhDLbJiZri0/edit?usp=sharing
- Big Y is giving out 300 Scholarships for merit and achievement!! https://bigyscholarship.awardspring.com/ Deadline is Feb. 1, 2019.
- United States JCI Senate Foundation Scholarship http://ctjcisenate.org/ctjcisenate-scholarship_info.htm. Deadline is January 11, 2019.
- Construction Career Scholarships Available: Applicants must be Connecticut residents enrolled in, or graduating high school seniors applying for and planning to enter, a four-year building and construction technology or civil engineering program, or entering a two-year technical school with a construction course of study, with the intent of entering a four-year accredited college upon completion of the technical school. Applicants must desire a career in construction. Applications must be submitted on-line and will be accepted until February 28, 2019. Please forward the following link to the on-line application to any interested students. https://goo.gl/DWxQG8
- Please visit here for all SAT and ACT test dates: www.colchesterct.org/uploaded/Bacon/Guidance/Copy_of_2018-19_SAT_2FACT_TESTING_DATES.pdf
SCHOOL COUNSELING DEPARTMENT
- Colchester Public Schools New Mission Statement:
~We create innovative thinkers for a dynamic world~
Board of Education Meeting: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at the WJJMS at 7:00pm.
- Colchester Public School January calendar of events here. Community welcome!
- Family Game Night Friday, January 25th 5:30-7:30 at the Town Hall: Click here for details.
- Paint Night to Fight Hunger at WJJMS: Wednesday, January 30th 6pm-8pm. Click here for details.
- Colchester Youth Services: Click here for list of programs and events.
- Are you interested in playing lacrosse? Click here for details.
- Cragin Program for Grades 6-8: Middle School GSA Friday, January 18th from 2:30pm-3:30pm. Click here for flyer.
- Teen Program at Cragin:Cereal Pancakes on Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 3:00pm.
- 9th Annual Freezin for a Reason: Starting on Friday, February 8th to Sunday, February 10th Officer Rob Suchecki, Fire Chief Walt Cox, Greg Cordova and Fred Brown are camping on the Town Green to raise money for the Colchester Fuel Bank. Come down to the Green to say hi and donate money for the Fuel Bank. Or donate online with Pay Pal using email@example.com/freezinforareason
- Girl Scouts of America- Dancing Under the Stars: February 16, 2019 from 6:30-8:30pm at the St. Andrew Parish Hall. Click here for ticket information and details.
- Soccer: The Colchester Soccer Club's Annual Meeting will be held on Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 6:00pm at Town Hall. All Members are welcome to attend. The following open 2019 Executive Board Positions will be filled at this meeting: Vice-President of Recreation League, Registrar, Webmaster and Member-at-Large. Any interested candidates should please contact Tim Daniels at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, January 11th.
- People Empowering People (PEP) starts Wednesdays beginning January 16th from 9:00-11:00am: People Empowering People is a personal, family and leadership development program for parents. Over the course of ten weekly sessions, parents will strengthen their “toolbox” by engaging in learning and discussion on the following topics: Click here for flier.
- January Cragin Library Programs: Kids programs here and Teens programs here.
- January Program information from Parks and Recreation: Click here for list of programs.
- Lacrosse: Colchester Youth Lacrosse Registration for the Spring 2019 season . Please click here for details. CYL Registrar at email@example.com.
Last week's Digital Backpack