WJJMS 360 Norwich Avenue, Colchester CT 06415 Telephone: (860) 537-2313
March 9, 2018
- Dear 8th Grade Parents, you should have received a letter from the school counseling department at Bacon Academy regarding course selections. Click here for a copy of the letter with directions on how to register for courses and the timeline.
- After School Clubs are coming! Click here for the listing of Spring After School Clubs and their descriptions, and here for the permission form.
- WJ Track Team: It’s not too late to join at Family ID on www.colchesterct.org. The schedules are being created now. You have until March 18th! Athletes take their buses to Bacon when they have practice or home meets.
- Student Summer Reading Committee opportunity for Grade 6 & 7 students: Are you interested in helping with summer reading? Mrs. Lane and Mrs. Fox are looking for student volunteers to help pick our book and format for summer reading. Your thoughts matter to us!! If interested, please contact Mrs. Lane or Mrs. Fox.
- Bacon's Connor McCourt is running a Clothing & Kindness Drive until March 23 for CES. The donation box is in the WJ office! Please consider bringing in girls and boys underwear sizes 3/4 to 7/ 8, girls and boys new or gently used pants sizes 5/6 to 7/ 8 and baby wipes.
- Beta Social Studies teacher, Ms. Krenicki, has secured an on-camera spot with Bob Ballard in the National Geographic Explorer series on March 20 at 11:00am. Click here for the information on Bob Ballard and his accomplishments!
- Poppies Paint Night a success: The energy in the room was buzzing! Thank you to our students, staff and friends for joining in on the fun and donating to our Empty Bowls and RFA fundraising efforts. Click here for a couple of photos.
- Congratulations to the Geo Bee winner and his advancement! Andrew Lima has qualified to compete in the state level competition of the National Geographic Bee! The Connecticut State Bee will be held on Friday, April 6, 2018 at Central Connecticut State University. The state champion will be invited to attend the National Bee in Washington, D.C., May 20-23, 2018. For more information about the National Geographic Bee, please visit natgeobee.org.
- The BA Volleyball team's Bridget Anderson will be visiting 8th grade workshops: On Wednesday, March 14, students will have the opportunity to learn about one of BA’s athletic programs!
- WJ Band Mentor Day leading up to the 7th & 8th Grade Band performance with the BA Band: Please hand in your permission form to take part in the Band Mentor Day @ Bacon on March 14, 2018.
- Martial Arts guests visit PE Class: Mrs. Colletti’s PE classes will be having martial arts guests on March 7 and 15.
- Everything Youth Services: Click here for program information for students, and additional evening programs for parents and students!
- Youth Service’s April Break Calendar: Click here for the Youth Service’s April break calendar to see all of the opportunities for our student.
- Sky’s The Limit! Click here for the flier for Youth Service’s April trip to Sky’s The Limit!
- A Note to WJJMS’s Office: Click here to view WJJMS’s A Note to the Office that you can utilize when your student will be coming in late, leaving early, was absent, or will be on vacation.
- See Screenagers, an award winning film at Bacon! Click here to see the flier on Screenagers, a film on the challenges of technology and family relationships on March 14, 2018.
- The Readathon results are in! We’re very pleased to announce that $1,011.51 has been raised to benefit the Colchester Food Bank and Restavec Freedom Alliance. Thank you to all of the students who participated in making a difference in the lives of others.
- Congrats to the DLD students: Click here to view the students who took part in Digital Learning Day, showcasing talents and sharing with younger students! A huge thank you goes out to WJ’s Laura Krenicki, Michelle Lane and Kelli Cauffman!
- Peace Poster update:The Colchester Lions are pleased to announce the success of the Peace Poster Contest. There were four entries which were very well done, based on the theme "The Future of Peace.” Hannah Nolsoe was awarded 1st Place; Aine Malone received 2nd Place. We had a tie for 3rd with both Juan Yanez and Olivia Ignazio receiving awards. We really appreciate the participation and interest of all who participated and the time and energy of the Middle School staff .
- WJJMS Go For the Gold: Read! Reading challenge runs until April 11th. Students read books, record and review the books and submit for various awards. Four books read = a Bronze medal, 8 books read = a silver medal, and 12 books read = a gold medal. Complete a level and gain an entry to win the grand prize - an Amazon gift card or a 4 pack of tickets to a Hartford Yardgoats game.
- Course Selection work for 8th Graders: Bacon Academy has mailed personalized letters home to all 8th graders with their PowerSchool login information, instructions, and a timeline for making course selections for 9th grade.
- We've secured an on-camera spot with Bob Ballard in the National Geographic Explorer series: On March 20 at 11am, students have an opportunity to see a live web-cast. Go National Geographic Explorer and Ms. Krenicki!
- Board of Education Meeting: Tuesday, March 13, 2018 at Bacon Academy.
- Are you interested in opening your heart and home to a child in need? Did you know there are over 4,500 children in foster care without a home? Please see the attached flier and find out how you can help!
- Colchester Behavioral Health Center: Offering individual and group counseling to adults, children and families. The Colchester offers many groups for women, men and teens covering a wide array of topics, such as substance abuse, mindfulness, teenage issues, as well as many more. For more information please call 860-537-7676. Click here for flier.
- Free Concert, Sunday March 11th: Classical Colchester, at the Bacon Academy Auditorium from 3pm-4pm. Colchester Civic Orchestra and Choir invites you to come hear a performance of classical favorites, including an incredible Madame Butterfly solo performance with orchestral accompaniment. Meet the musicians and enjoy light refreshments afterward!
- Book & Bake Sale March 9-11 at Cragin Memorial Library: Friday Preview 4-7 pm,* Saturday 10 am-4 pm, Sunday 10 am-2 pm. *$5 admission fee for preview.
- Colchester Youth & Social Services: Upcoming programs and events: Click here to view.
- Parents/Students! Community Conversation- Screenagers, March 14th: Parents and their children are welcome to join CYSS on Wednesday, March 14th in the Bacon Academy Auditorium from 6-8pm for a presentation of the film Screenagers: Growing up in the Digital Age. Pizza will be served at 5:45pm and childcare is available for kids under 10 with advanced registration only. Flier here.
- Community Wellness Fair- March 25th: Join Colchester Youth and Social Services and the Colchester Farmers Market on Sunday, March 25th from 10am -2pm at Colchester Elementary School, as they promote wellness in our community. Come out to this free event to keep Colchester and our surrounding communities healthy! Click here for flier.
- Narcan Training: A community Narcan training session will be available from 12-1pm at the Community wellness Fair at CES on Sunday, March 25th. Click here for flier.
- April Vacation Programs at Cragin Library: For Kids Events click here and Teen Events click here.
- Cragin’s National Library Week Programs: The celebration happens Monday April 9th thru Saturday April 14th. This year makes the 60th anniversary of the first event, sponsored in 1958. Click here for Cragin’s programs.
- TVCCA Early Head Start and Head Start programs are federally funded comprehensive child development programs which serve children from birth to five, pregnant women, and their families. In Colchester, services are offered in a Colchester Elementary preschool classroom and through an infant/toddler home visitation option. Click here for details.
- Cragin Teen Programs: MARCH programs here.
- Cragin Kids Programs: MARCH programs here.
Last Digital Backpack