2017-2018 Course Selections
Dear Students and Parents/Caregivers,
On March 28, 2017, the PowerSchool Portal will open for students to enter their elective course selections. To aid in the selection of elective courses, please carefully read the following message.
Core academic classes are recommended by current-year teachers; their recommendations will appear as selections in the PowerSchool Portal. Please follow the instructions under each departmental section. Most students are recommended in Math, English, Science, Social Studies, and World Language, for a range of 5 to 5.5 credits. (AP Biology and AP Chemistry are 1.5 credits and take up two blocks in schedules.) Teachers have explained level placements to students. If your student is uncertain of level placement, he or she should speak directly with the teacher.
Elective Course Selections
Students are encouraged to request electives totalling 3 - 4 credits. There are many reasons why students are required to select at least 3 additional credits of electives:
- There are inherent limitations in an 8-block schedule. It is possible to request a course that runs only in the same block as another course.
- Preference for elective course selection is given to upperclassmen.
- It is critical to have students enter several choices to avoid widespread under-enrollment.
- Accurate demand for each course ensures appropriate staffing of sections.
The Physical Education graduation requirement is 1.5 credits.
The process described here is one of requesting elective courses only; it does not finalize a schedule. Once the schedule is finalized, any block in a student’s schedule that is not filled by a course will automatically be filled by a study hall. Should a student receive all requested elective courses, it is a very simple process to drop a course for a study hall. Contact the School Counseling Department after schedules are released and we will adjust the schedule accordingly.
Your student may modify course selections at any point up until April 28th, when the Portal will close and the process of building schedules will begin. That process takes approximately 6 weeks; we will communicate when schedules are available for viewing in the PowerSchool Portal.
Directions for Entering Elective Course Requests in PowerSchool
- Log in to the PowerSchool Portal: http://pschool.colchesterct.org:8080/public
- Click on CLASS REGISTRATION.
- On the far right, click on the PENCIL ICON.
- You are encouraged to view each course group to review all of your options.
- Click through each screen to select courses: click box next to the course and a checkmark will appear.
- You MUST enter Personal Health and Wellness (0950) AND Physical Education (0945).
- You MUST select up to 9 credits.
- After all selections have been made, click OKAY.
- After clicking OKAY, a screen will appear that shows all elective course selections.
- If selections are correct, click SUBMIT. (Failure to click SUBMIT will result in NO selections!)
The Bacon Academy School Counseling Department