Registration and Residency 

Welcome to Colchester Public Schools!

Our Central Registration office is located at the Colchester Town Hall, 127 Norwich Avenue, Suite 202. Central Registration is responsible for the following student services:

  • Registration for new and returning students
  • Re-enrollment of students that previously attended Colchester Public Schools

 *If your student is coming from another school district, please complete the release of records form to obtain student records from the previous school system.


Registration Process

According to State law, your child must be five years old on or before September 1st to register for Kindergarten.  

Parents/Legal Guardians of students transferring to Colchester from other school districts are encouraged to enroll their children as soon as possible. Registration for transfer students is ongoing.

1. If your student has never attended Colchester Public Schools, then please visit the Pre-registration for Enrollment in Colchester Public Schools page and complete the form. You will need a valid email address to process the initial one-page enrollment form. If you have a returning student, please email [email protected] to re-activate his or her student record.

*Please note that this is the initial step in the online registration process. Once you have completed the one-page enrollment form, you will need to check your email for the confirmation message that includes instructions to complete Step 3.

2. If you wish to apply for preschool, please enter your student's name into the lottery by visiting the Colchester Elementary School's Preschool Applications Page. For additional details regarding preschool registration, please contact the administration at Colchester Elementary School at 860-537-0717.  

3. Check your email for a confirmation message as well as a second email with instructions on creating a Parent Portal Account. Your Parent Portal account access information is located at the bottom of the second email. Create a new Parent Portal account and complete the online registration forms for your new student.

*If you already have an existing student enrolled in Colchester Public Schools, and a current Parent Portal account, you can log-in and add your new student to the existing account with the access code and ID.

In addition to the online registration forms, the CT Health Assessment Form (physical) will need to be completed and submitted to the school nurse.  

4. To complete your student's registration, please provide a) proof of residency and b) proof of your student's age. A student's legal guardian should provide the required documentation as listed below. These documents can be uploaded to the Residency Verification Form F in the “Forms” section in the Parent Portal of Power School. Please call 860-537-7267, option 5, for questions or if you choose to submit your student's residency and age documentation in person. 

SECTION ONE: Proof of identification (photo ID) - Provide ONE

  • Driver’s license
  • Non-Driver photo ID
  • Valid passport with photo

SECTION TWO: Property information - Provide ONE

  • For Homeowners: Deed to home, current mortgage bill, or homeowner's property tax statement
  • For Renters: Signed active lease or rental agreement that is also signed by your landlord with landlord’s contact number

SECTION THREE: Residency verification - Provide TWO

Provide TWO proofs of residency documents dated within 30 days in the same name and to the same address:

  • Current utility bill (water, light, gas or cable)
  • Home telephone bill 
  • Other

SECTION FOUR: Proof of Student's age - Provide ONE

  • Photocopy of a birth certificate
  • Earlier school records
  • State-issued identification document
  • Driver’s license, passport, etc.
  • Parent’s affidavit or unsworn statement as to a student’s age
  • Physician’s certificate verifying a student’s age
  • Immunization records
  • Other

If the student is living permanently in a dwelling that is rented, owned, or occupied by a resident of Colchester, who is not the student’s parent/guardian, that resident of Colchester must bring documentation mentioned in Sections Two and Three, present photo identification, and complete the Host Statement. The parent/guardian must complete the Parent Statement. A Residency Affidavit must be completed by the parent and host together. Please contact the Director of Pupil Services and Special Education for Colchester Public Schools if the student’s residence is not permanent.

5. Upon completion of the registration process, you may contact the appropriate school to set up a time for a meet and greet, and to submit all required medical documentation. If you are in possession of your student's special education records, please deliver those records directly to Pupil Services at 360 Norwich Avenue. If your student is in grades 6 through 12, he or she will also meet with a school counselor to develop a class schedule.